Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Remote control for muting commercials on TV

Status
Not open for further replies.

kinarfi

I made several screen shot of the signal going to the LED of my Sony remote control and they all had the same pattern. I would like to build a single purpose remote control to mute my sound system when the commercials come on. Can anyone make any suggestions at to where to start and how to do it?
Thanks,
Jeff
The screen shot file was too large so I put all of them on Drive **broken link removed**
There are 5 division left & right of the center line, and how do I get a V p-p of 32.3v from 2 1.5v AA batteries and the trace is right of the LED.

Last edited:
so I put all of them on Drive
When I click on that link, Google tells me that it is an empty folder.

how do I get a V p-p of 32.3v from 2 1.5v AA batteries
If you are using a digital scope, is the Y axis setup configured for a x10 probe, and you made the measurement using a x1 probe ?

JimB

hi Jim,
When I clicked on that link, I too got 'empty folder' but also picked up two virus programs!.
Had to power off the PC, it was locked into a constant 'upload' state, I rebooted and then did a virus scan to clear them out.
Have you had any problems.?
E

I made several screen shot of the signal going to the LED of my Sony remote control and they all had the same pattern. I would like to build a single purpose remote control to mute my sound system when the commercials come on. Can anyone make any suggestions at to where to start and how to do it?

I'm a little confused as to what you mean? - what's wrong with the mute button on the TV handset?.

However, assuming you want to build a 'mute' handset with a single button, details of Sony SIRC's are in my PIC tutorials and everything you need is there.

hi Jim,
When I clicked on that link, I too got 'empty folder' but also picked up two virus programs!.
Had to power off the PC, it was locked into a constant 'upload' state, I rebooted and then did a virus scan to clear them out.
Have you had any problems.?
E
No obvious problems, but may be a virus scan is in order.
Thanks for the heads-up.

JimB

OOPS, Had them load, but not in the folder, they're there now though,
Jim, thanks for clearing the 32 volts up,
E, no virus troubles here,
Nigel, Are you saying I'll need a PIC for this? I want to build this because the button on the hand held remote is in a detent, small and difficult to hit, age and artharitis come into play at this point.
Thanks,
Jeff

OOPS, Had them load, but not in the folder, they're there now though,
Jim, thanks for clearing the 32 volts up,
E, no virus troubles here,
Nigel, Are you saying I'll need a PIC for this? I want to build this because the button on the hand held remote is in a detent, small and difficult to hit, age and artharitis come into play at this point.
Thanks,
Jeff

I first thought you wanted to auto-mute, but then wouldn't it be more practical to control the volume at a preset level. AGC would control that, I get tired of programming not adhering to a set volume. Pisses me off really.

kv

Edit: I understand it when your watching a movie intended to raise the volume for intense moments. Regular programming controls the volume like stores place food stuffs to make you purchase something you didn't intend on buying.

the button on the hand held remote is in a detent, small and difficult to hit
I had a similar problem when the plastic 'unlock' button on my car remote dropped off. The 'temporary' workaround was to attach several layers of insulating tape cut onto small squares, to create a new button of appropriate thickness/height. It's been working fine for several months now. Perhaps you could build up your button in a similar way?

I had a similar problem when the plastic 'unlock' button on my car remote dropped off. The 'temporary' workaround was to attach several layers of insulating tape cut onto small squares, to create a new button of appropriate thickness/height. It's been working fine for several months now. Perhaps you could build up your button in a similar way?
super glue a small O-ring over it my be the ticket also.
I have this old novelty box, about 2 x 2 x 3/4 inch with a single button on it that turns on a motor inside to vibrate, I'm thinking to remove the motor and put 4 LEDs, one on each side so there is no having to figure out which end point at the amplifier, is there an end on a square remote? :)

You need a micro-controller, it's makes it trivial to build - doing it in hardware would be pretty complicated, although not impossible.

With a PIC you could use the following parts:

1 x 12F1840 (8 pin DIL PIC).
1 x IR LED.
1 x series resistor for LED.
1 x capacitor, electrolytic across supply.
1 x push button switch.
2 x AA batteries.

That's it, seven components (and a little programming).

If you want to increase the range, add a driver transistor to feed the LED, and an extra resistor to feed the base of the transistor.

Why not just buy a small universal remote such as one of these?

You need a micro-controller, it's makes it trivial to build - doing it in hardware would be pretty complicated, although not impossible.

With a PIC you could use the following parts:

1 x 12F1840 (8 pin DIL PIC). $1.28
x IR LED.
4 x series resistor for LED.
1 x capacitor, electrolytic across supply. I prbobably have one that will work
1 x push button switch. I have one
2 x AA batteries. I have Plenty

That's it, seven components (and a little programming).

If you want to increase the range, add a driver transistor to feed the LED, and an extra resistor to feed the base of the transistor.
I appreciate your help, would you be so kind as to help with the bill of materials, I plan to use https://www.digikey.com/ as my supplier, so if you could suggest part numbers, that would be great, remember, I plan to use 4 IR LEDs .
Do I need anything special to program the 12F1840? Range should not be a problem.
Thanks,
Jeff
PS were you able to figure out what code I need from my screen shots?

Last edited:
Do I need anything special to program the 12F1840?
Yes. A Pickit2 or Pickit3 (or perhaps a clone). This will push up the price way beyond crutschow's post #11 suggestion :).

hmm, one mute button, arthritis, sounds like you want solution more than project, I recommend:

open existing remote,
cut out old mute button,
solder in a new push button more to your liking,
wood glue to hold button and support solder contacts

it may come out looking a bit like Frankenstein, but is a faster solution

Best Buy and others sell universal remotes with large buttons for exactly this application.

ak

71tOPwODpLL._SL1500_.jpg

The middle OK button is used for MUTE. YOu just look up the model code of TV and follow setup instructions. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B..._t=101&pf_rd_p=2150407382&pf_rd_i=12035708011
$8 + shipping. or Walmart

Lots of good ideas and suggestion, thanks, doesn't look like anything I can build from discrete components, may have to cannibalize something store bought, mount the IR LED where it point at the receiver, the button where it's handy and the rest elsewhere.

Elektor I think it was did an article a year or so back, it was a device that you attached to a coffe table, and when you kicked or knocked said tble it muted the Tv via infra red remote, might be worth looking for.

I found some circuits for automatically muting analogue radio when ads start, I would really like one that would work with Tv too.

I use KODI free & commercial-free recorded TV and movies and live TV & sports around the globe but with commercials.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back