Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Remote control 4x 50W LEDs with ESP8266, HC05 and Smart Phone

Status
Not open for further replies.

pezigan

Hi!

Here is the project:
I bought a spotlight which contains 4x 50W LED Lamps. The spotlight is powered by a 28VDC battery. My vision is to control the spotlight with a mobile app (turn on/off and blink the LED's). Also the space inside the spotlight is limited (10cm X 7cm X 4cm at most since the existing wiring takes up much of the space) so I also have to take the size of the components in consideration. There is a flip switch on the Spotlight (I II O) which either turns on the top two LEDs, all four LEDs or turns them OFF. I am good with developing the software but horrible with electronics/ circuit design.

Edit: I just realized HC05 is not compatible with iOS so i'll probably go for a hc08 or a HM-10. Any recommendations? (I want to use both Android and iOS)

In the attachment there is my current circuit design. I want to use this **broken link removed** to get the desired 5V on the VIN Pin of the ESP. The **broken link removed** controls 2 **broken link removed** which can trigger the LEDs according to the commands coming in from the HC-05 Bluetooth Module. So basically it all gets controlled from the mobile app i will be developing.

As you may have noticed I am a newbie to circuit design, but is the attached scheme a feasible option? I've added all details which i think may be necessary but don't hesitate to tell me if you need some more information. Will I have to add some other components/resistors etc.? Are the components i chose fitting for those purposes?

Thanks in advance!
scheme.png

Last edited:
Its compatible, why do you think its not compatible? The hardware is not your problem. The software is your problem.

Cause i basically have no knowledge in circuit design. I have some concerns regarding the components i chose. I dont want to destroy any of my parts by exceeding limits in terms of voltage, current, etc. So you say I can realize the circuit as in the scheme above?

android -> HC05 -> modeMCU -> web server -> android
Why would i need a web server in this?

Thanks for your reply.

The web server is needed. The very least you will need an ip on the local network reserved only for your device. If you want it to work from outside the local network, you will need a web server or to port forward your router. You are missing a lot of knowledge for this project.

Your connection can be from both ends, connecting the web server to an android phone through an app or connecting to the bluetooth module through bluetooth.

The web server is needed. The very least you will need an ip on the local network reserved only for your device. If you want it to work from outside the local network, you will need a web server or to port forward your router. You are missing a lot of knowledge for this project.
Your connection can be from both ends, connecting the web server to an android phone through an app or connecting to the bluetooth module through bluetooth.
Why would I need a WebServer to connect a phone and a HC05 via bluetooth?

Initially, I do not see any need for Web Server.
Just use an iOS Cell Phone or an Android Cell Phone for Remote Control

The HC05 is older Bluetooth 2.0
I don't think the HC05 will connect to iOS.
I believe that iOS requires the newer Bluetooth 4.0 / BLE protocol

Last edited:
Using P channel mosfets is not a good idea. When the Arduino is outputting 5V (or 0V) the mosfet will be turned on because gate to drain is over 10V. Use N channel logic level mosfets on the ground side of the LEDs. Whoops, you state N channel logic level fets but show P channel in the high side.

Either I've had too much beer (quite possible) or you need to redraw your schematic.

Mike.
Edit, Do you also realize the two sources are joined together so your switch is redundant.

Initially, I do not see any need for Web Server.
Just use an iOS Cell Phone or an Android Cell Phone for Remote Control

The HC05 is older Bluetooth 2.0
I don't think the HC05 will connect to iOS.
I believe that iOS requires the newer Bluetooth 4.0 / BLE protocol

Thank you, I already questioned my sanity.

Oops. As i stated above, i want to use an hc08 or a HM-10 now. I should be fine with that i guess? only drawback is that it's only usable with devices supporting BLE as far as i know.

Using P channel mosfets is not a good idea. When the Arduino is outputting 5V (or 0V) the mosfet will be turned on because gate to drain is over 10V. Use N channel logic level mosfets on the ground side of the LEDs. Whoops, you state N channel logic level fets but show P channel in the high side.

Either I've had too much beer (quite possible) or you need to redraw your schematic.

Mike.
Edit, Do you also realize the two sources are joined together.

Yeah the FETs in the schematic meant to be N-Channel logic FETs. As i said im a total newbie to schematics/electronics, so you didnt have too much beer. ^^
Ok thats an issue too. How do i reach the goal of powering the ESP when either state I or II of the switch are enabled then? Just install 2 diodes?

I'll try to provide an updated schematic tomorrow.

You need to tell us what the switch is supposed to do.

Mike.

Switch Position I: Only LED 3 & 4 should be powered & controlled by the ESP.

Switch Position II: All LEDs should be powered & controlled by the ESP.

Switch Position O: Spotlight + ESP turned off

Switch Position I: Only LED 3 & 4 should be powered & controlled by the ESP.

Switch Position II: All LEDs should be powered & controlled by the ESP.

Switch Position O: Spotlight + ESP turned off
Use (logic level) N channel Mosfets in the ground side of the LEDs. Use a double pole switch and use 1 pole to power the ESP and the other in the positive side of the LEDs you want to be off.

Mike.
I've used the HC05/6 to talk to my Samsung Tablet to control a Zumo robot but had to use a Leonardo board so I had two serial modules - software serial is very bad on Arduino. As already suggested, why not just use WiFi?

Why use Bluetooth module - you could just use the ESP8266 as a webServer on a private network to feed an html page to your iOS phone.

Or, you can use an ESP32 that has the Bluetooth on board but your iOS phone will still have trouble with Bluetooth.

Try this to clean up a bit, and use the N-channel appropriately. Make sure to get an N-channel that turns on completely with 3.3 volts of the ESP modules.

93832469-319B-4C29-AD35-7AB0A692BA16.jpeg

iOS isn't compatible with the HC05/06, as iOS only supports a limited range of BT options.

Simple answer - use Android :D
Ok so hc08 or HM-10? Or should i even think of choosing another board? Yeah but I want everyone to be able to control it. But if thats much of an issue i might just cut it and only go for android. Maybe not a bad idea anyways since the apple developer account is a 100 bucks a year. ^^

Use (logic level) N channel Mosfets in the ground side of the LEDs.
Ok.

Use a double pole switch and use 1 pole to power the ESP and the other in the positive side of the LEDs you want to be off.
Problem is that the switch was already built-in and I wanted to use that one.

As already suggested, why not just use WiFi?
Why use Bluetooth module - you could just use the ESP8266 as a webServer on a private network to feed an html page to your iOS phone.

Or, you can use an ESP32 that has the Bluetooth on board but your iOS phone will still have trouble with Bluetooth.

I thought Bluetooth was more fitting since it doesn't consume as much power as WiFi. This is important since the thing will be used outdoors too. Additionally i want to get my hands on some Bluetooth programming in Android. Never done that before. As i said, im just a software developer lost in electronics. ^^

gophert thanks for the schematic! So I should be fine with this circuit?

So I should be fine with this circuit?

It is my interpretation of your sketch. I will not say you'll be fine, I don't want that risk to be with with me, you are on the hook to do the final check since you've ever given a clear description of what you are doing.

The 7805 Voltage Regulator is specified with a max Input Voltage of 25V, will that be a problem? Do I need additional parts like capacitors for this voltage regulator?
Other than that it looks perfectly fine, at least up to my understanding.

\e: so here is my updated schematic:

schemeQL.png

The switch is actually a 3dpdt but my circuit drawing tool doesnt have one so i had to adapt a selector switch for this purpose.

Switch Position 0: OFF
Switch Position 1: The ESP gets powered and it can control LED3 &LED4 via the Mosfet
Switch Position 2: The ESP gets powered and it can control LED1 & LED2 AND LED3 & LED4 pairwise

Questions:
Which resistors are fitting for the mosfet gate resistor? I've read something about dimensioning of the gate resistor here. One answer says that ~150Ω are fine.
I still have no idea what the resistors after the LEDs are for and how much resistance they got to have.
Should i pick another board instead of the ESP8266 since i wont use WiFi at all? Would e.g. the digispark pro?
Should i use a voltage divider to get the desired 3.3V at the BT-Module input?

Do you need any further information? thank you so much for the help up to this point.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back