Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Remote analog sensor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jnnewton

Hello,

I have a situation where it would benefit me to have an analog sensor off of the pcb (where it currently sits) and located remotely on a piece of equipment. Although I have several Ideas as to how best accomplish this, I cannot make a decision and would like some input before choosing a design path.

Setup:

Output is +/- 1.2 Vdc, and the max frequency of the signal is, from what I can figure, about 0.1 Hz, although I would like to allow for around 10Hz for future development of other parts of the system. The maximum current output is not published for this sensor as far as i can tell (freescale mma2260)

The sensors signal needs to travel approximately 10 ft through a noisy area into a shielded box which contains the control circuitry, the noise is from 3 large motors (> 1hp, 2 ac, 1 bldc all 200VAC) and several large relays switching ac loads (other motors, not in the immediate area)

The target of the signal is the control circuit which has a dspic30f micro.

Ideas:

1. I could convert the analog signal to something like CAN or serial RS232. I have enough experience in both to get the job done, however, this adds a level of complexity (local microcontroller, etc.) that I would rather not deal with.

2. Just keep it all analog back to the dspic. No comm, no extra micro, seems simple.

Questions:

Assuming #2 is chosen

1. should i put lp filters at the source or the destination or both or neither?
2. can i stick with all analog filters (not too familiar with dspic digital filters) or would it be better to do some digital (IIR, etc.) filtering?
3. are line drivers / recievers needed? would this be any different than the max232 ld/rec that i use for serial comms?
4. would increasing the output voltage from +/- 1.2 to say +/- 10V be a good idea? I can easily have 24v as well as the 3.3 or 5 needed for a sensor at the sensor location, in fact, i will probably make the low voltage on the sensor board from 24V with a small linear reg. If this is done, would a charg pump be adequate, i have had issues with imbalance when experimenting with them in the past and found the flyback topology to be easier for creating supplies on the negative end. is there a way to just use a negative linear?

Ok, I am rambling a little, lets start with this.

Use an opamp to amplify the output by x10 so you have a +/- 10 volt swing then feed this back to the measuring device to a 10:1 resistor network to convert the signal back again.

The higher voltage down the line minimises the interference (i.e. if you have 100mv of noise generated on the line, it reduces to 10mv after the divider). The potential divider at the other end gives it a load which further can help minimise noise.

Other options are to convert the output voltage to a frequency and measure that instead of a voltage.

And yet another thing to consider is to convert the output voltage to current and run it as a current loop - 10ma at one end is equal to 10ma at the other end ;)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back