Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Relocation to USA

Status
Not open for further replies.

EngIntoHW

Hi.

I'm working for a small company, and a while ago was sent to the USA on behalf of the company to learn from experienced engineers who specialize in certain matters which the company I work for deals with.

I was fascinated by the life in the USA and made it my goal to live and work there.

I'm a third year student in electrical engineering and I got 4 semesters left.

I guess there ain't much I can do in order to progress towards my goal before I receive my bachelor of science in EE.

Has anyone here moved to the USA and worked / is working there?

I'd be glad to hear about it as it really fascinates me.

Last edited:
Hello Mike.

I live pretty far from the US, not in America.
I'm sorry that I was not more specific.
Why did you ask if I may ask?

Last edited:
I was fascinated by the life in the USA and made it my goal to live and work there.

I guess your current location really matters not. As to living and working in the US it is actually a fairly large place and the location within the US can dictate work habits and lifestyles. For example those living and working in the southern states along the eastern US tend to be more relaxed about work. There is also no shortage of diverse climate either. Much of living and working in the US really is a matter of the exact field of engineering and the location.

Just My Take
Ron

Thanks for your 2 cents Ron.

I wonder how is this whole relocation going?

Like what are the steps taken to achieve this goal and how is it once you're relocated?

Last edited:
Hello Mike.

I live pretty far from the US, not in America.
I'm sorry that I was not more specific.
Why did you ask if I may ask?

If it was the UK I could point you in the right direction. There is probably useful information anyway so, clicky here.

Edit, I emigrated from the U.K. 7 years ago.

Mike.

Last edited:
Oh thanks mate.

You mind telling about your experience?
Before the immigration, were you intentionally looking for a company which tends to relocate their workers to the US?
I'd be happy to hear about everything you're willing to share.

I actually emigrated to Australia so can't help on the U.S.A. The forum I linked to should have lots of information.

Mike.

I think if you come from certain countries and look like, dress like and talk like a terrorist then you will have a problem coming to America.
Therefore those people all seem to be coming to Canada because I see them all over the place. I am afraid they might blow themselves up when near me.

I actually emigrated to Australia so can't help on the U.S.A. The forum I linked to should have lots of information.

Mike.

Hi again.

I'd love to hear about how you started the procedure of emigrating to Australia. :)
Were you looking beforehand for a position which required relocation to Australia?

Why Australia by the way?

Australia? He wanted to live on an island.
You have been very cagey about your home country! Why?
There is a lot of info on the how-to on the web. When I decided to come to Canada I had to go (actually walk) to the Canadain Embassy. Immagine that!

Australia? He wanted to live on an island.
You have been very cagey about your home country! Why?
There is a lot of info on the how-to on the web. When I decided to come to Canada I had to go (actually walk) to the Canadain Embassy. Immagine that!

Yes, I too noticed you have been quite dodgey whenever the location of your current country comes up.

Hi mates.

Well, I really wanted to hear about the experience of people who moved to another country for work (not necessarily to the USA).

Which steps did they take in order to achieve this goal, and how does the whole relocation experience feel like.

I'd be happy if you could share some of that.

Thanks.

I have spent considerable time living away from home. I lived in Italy for 3 years and Japan for over a year with plenty of shorter visits. I think for someone entertaining the thought of living away from their native country they should consider working for an international company and a large one.

I got tired of travel and living abroad about 20 years ago when I was about 40 years old. I work for MDR (McDermott International) which is an energy type company and I am involved with the B&W (Babcock & Wilcox) division's nuclear operations group.

During my younger days I really enjoyed the travel and living abroad. I loved experiencing new cultures and especially experiencing some truly great food around the world. However, the life isn't for everyone. After my second child was born in Italy I figured it was time to slow down and get a little stability.

However, for someone seeking travel or living abroad it is a matter of finding a company with strong international ties I believe. The world can be a fun place! :)

Ron

Hey Ron.
Thanks for sharing.

It sounds that living abroad was an excited experience for you.

Does it take to find an international company or finding a position which requires relocation?
I mean, these are two different things.
You could be working for an international company and filling a position which doesn't include relocation.

Thanks.

I'm not going to spend time typing a reply about my experience of emigrating when you won't answer the only question I asked. Where are you currently resident? It makes a huge difference to the answer.

Mike.

Mike has been making a good point in that you have yet to tell us where you are now? Mike is also someone who has "been there and done that" as we say so I am sure he could help quite a bit and provide some valuable information. He is someone who made a big decision and moved on that decision.

As to me? I don't know as I think despite being of Italian and French Canadian decent I was born to wander or somehow got Nomad blood. :)

Being with a large company isn't bad. We have about 25,000 people globally I believe. We also have several endless websites where positions within the organization are posted. Everything is done online. My resume is online as well as pages of information about my likes and dislikes. I actually didn't choose MDR (the company) but they sort of choose me when they bought the smaller company I worked for.

You have obviously been from wherever you are to the US and enjoyed your stay. I have no clue how long you were here. Remember something though, when you commit to "the big move" it is for years and not a visit. You really need to be sure you are ready to accept a new culture and way of living. For me that included learning the languages of my host countries. Additionally respecting and obeying their laws and traditions. You are no longer in your back yard but the back yard of another.

Ron

I was raised in Vancouver, Canada. I moved to Toronto, Canada (thousands of km away) when Vancouver was becoming Hongcouver and the hippies in Toronto were going to Hongcouver. Now Hongcouver is full of Chinese people and marijuanna smoke from the hippies. The cultures are completely different.

Did I mention the Indians and Arabs? There are so many of them lately that some are polititians here. Their Mosques are all over the place. They dress weird.

I was raised in Vancouver, Canada. I moved to Toronto, Canada (thousands of km away) when Vancouver was becoming Hongcouver and the hippies in Toronto were going to Hongcouver. Now Hongcouver is full of Chinese people and marijuanna smoke from the hippies. The cultures are completely different.

Did I mention the Indians and Arabs? There are so many of them lately that some are polititians here. Their Mosques are all over the place. They dress weird.

Thank you AG for that important and useful information. I always enjoyed our trips up and through Canada but never did get to Hongcouver. There is little doubt in my mind that I want to go there based on what you have covered. Sounds like a place I would enjoy.

Thank you again for your most informative post.

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back