Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Finally switched to Linux.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have CrossOver. While it handles many basic programs, they do focus on MS stuff and some gaming. The problem is when you need COM ports (many of them) for things like radio control, etc. Also, some apps written in VB have issues finding the right libraries. Up to the user to figure it out. Support is there, but I find it is a bit intermittent.
I would have stayed with Linux and Crossover if my ham radio programs all ran properly, but they just don't. N1MM+ did run and I got rotor control to work, but that took a while to do, trial and error. Again, not a simple straight forward install.
CrossOver is based on Wine, and may be a revision older than current Wine. However, the CrossOver team does support Wine with a portion of their sales I believe.

I was surprised when I found out that WINE stands for,
Wine Is Not an Emulator.
I have Wine installed but not had a use for it yet.

Mike.
P.S. I'd forgotten about the "turbo" button too.

What I'd like to know is if you had two speeds why o why would you run it slower..

However!! Many laptops nowadays automatically slow to save battery..
Which is reasonable enough - but why would you ever want to make a really slow home computer run even slower?.

Fair enough on VERY, VERY much faster more modern machines - for those who remember?, once they passed a certain speed Turbo BASIC and Turbo Pascal etc. programs didn't work any more. This was because they used a simple loop for their delay routines, and as they initialised they measured the speed of the system, and set the loop timing accordingly. Unfortunately once machines got too fast, the loop timing exceeded the size of the variables used.

I don't know if they ever produced a cure for the compilers?, certainly I never got an update for mine - but there was a simple small .EXE program you could run on the faulty .EXE files that patched the error - I always thought it was clever, producing acure that didn't use any more space, so you could simply patch the .EXE file.

What I'd like to know is if you had two speeds why o why would you run it slower..
Games!

Many games for the original 4.77MHz IBM PC used software timing, and running them on a faster machine messed that up.

The "Turbo" switch was really a "Slowdown" control for backwards compatibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back