Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Relocation to USA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ron: I am a Vancouverite. Lived in Toronto for a year, loved to leave it. Yes, we do have an eclectic mix of culures here (AG forgot to mention the gay community though). Coming from Berlin in 1965 Vancouver was a hick town. But see what blossomed! E

I didn't know that the hippies who went from Toronto to Vancouver are gay. I thought the guys are macho.

I didn't know that the hippies who went from Toronto to Vancouver are gay. I thought the guys are macho.

lol. Macho...lol. I thought hippies were a thing of the sixties... Macho..lol, so are they like manly men?

Do you like gladiator movies AG? :)

Last edited:
I don't see many movies. The last time I was in a movie theater was about 30 years ago. I have never rented a video tape or DVD. I don't own a DVD. I watch TV movies occasionally.

Pommie; said:
I'm not going to spend time typing a reply about my experience of emigrating when you won't answer the only question I asked. Where are you currently resident? It makes a huge difference to the answer.

Mike.

Mike has been making a good point in that you have yet to tell us where you are now? Mike is also someone who has "been there and done that" as we say so I am sure he could help quite a bit and provide some valuable information. He is someone who made a big decision and moved on that decision.

Hey, you're right, its not fair to ask you for details while i'm not willing to reveal the country from which I come.
I'm by nature a person who likes privacy and its got nothing to do with you.
If this intrigues you, I'd send you a PM.

As to me? I don't know as I think despite being of Italian and French Canadian decent I was born to wander or somehow got Nomad blood. :)

Being with a large company isn't bad. We have about 25,000 people globally I believe. We also have several endless websites where positions within the organization are posted. Everything is done online. My resume is online as well as pages of information about my likes and dislikes. I actually didn't choose MDR (the company) but they sort of choose me when they bought the smaller company I worked for.

You have obviously been from wherever you are to the US and enjoyed your stay. I have no clue how long you were here. Remember something though, when you commit to "the big move" it is for years and not a visit. You really need to be sure you are ready to accept a new culture and way of living. For me that included learning the languages of my host countries. Additionally respecting and obeying their laws and traditions. You are no longer in your back yard but the back yard of another.

Ron
I'm glad for you for being chosen by such a large company.
I agree with what you said about living in a foreign country, the thing is that I liked the way of life in the USA.

I talked to a person about relocation, and he told me that first you need to work in an international company (the larger the better).
While working there, you should tell your superiors that you're interested in a relocation position once its available.
Then you need to wait for a relocatoion position to be available, and hope that you'll be selected among all other candidates.
That is if you proved yourself as a good employee.

It sounds like luck has so much to do with that.
Kind of disappointing.

Last edited:
I don't understand your reluctance to reveal where you live. By revealing where you live may make another poster come forward with pertinent information. Your loss.

Mike.

I'm glad for you for being chosen by such a large company.
I agree with what you said about living in a foreign country, the thing is that I liked the way of life in the USA.

I talked to a person about relocation, and he told me that first you need to work in an international company (the larger the better).
While working there, you should tell your superiors that you're interested in a relocation position once its available.
Then you need to wait for a relocation position to be available, and hope that you'll be selected among all other candidates.

I am glad you liked the way of life here in the US but remember what I mentioned earlier. The US is a big place with several ways of life depending on geographical area of the country. Sometimes in my travels I found it wasn't a matter of liking a way of life as much as a matter of adapting to a way of life.

Working for a large corporation does open doors of travel to those who seek it and are qualified for positions abroad.

Ron

Then you need to wait for a relocatoion position to be available, and hope that you'll be selected among all other candidates.

It sounds like luck has so much to do with that.
Kind of disappointing.
You need to get a position within a US Company. It may be through working for an international company and being transferred or you can be directly hired, it does not matter. The company would need to sponsor you for a work visa or unlikely a green card. To do it, you need specialized training or experience and the company needs to state that they have searched the US market for your skills and not found it. That's fairly easy with a standard work visa, it's much more difficult with a green card.

My understanding is that it does matter where you live, since work visa's are given priority by country, but I don't know that for sure.

I am glad you liked the way of life here in the US but remember what I mentioned earlier. The US is a big place with several ways of life depending on geographical area of the country. Sometimes in my travels I found it wasn't a matter of liking a way of life as much as a matter of adapting to a way of life.

Yes, getting a job in the US means you will be placed in the US somewhere rather than picking a place to live. Like any big country, the lifestyles, attitudes, and living conditions vary widely across the country. Whatever you experienced in the USA that you liked might not be the same where you are placed.

AG cracks me up. I always think of him as being 108 years old and yelling at kids on his lawn. Using the term whippersnappers a lot.

AG cracks me up. I always think of him as being 108 years old and yelling at kids on his lawn. Using the term whippersnappers a lot.
I am 64 years young. My kids and most of the little kids in my neighbourhood are grown up.

I worked for the Canadian office of an American company for 10 years. They sent me all over America working without a work permit. They also sent me all over Canada. I got tired of living in hotels and eating in restaurants.

I work for a US company and have been doing so for 11 years now. I used to fly to client sites and stay in the US 4 days a week, but now I work from home. All I can say to you 'mericans is you need to work on the strength of your dollar, cuz the US->Canadian conversion rate is killing me. Just recently I converted my check and it came to less in Canadian than the US dollar value.

You need to get a position within a US Company. It may be through working for an international company and being transferred or you can be directly hired, it does not matter. The company would need to sponsor you for a work visa or unlikely a green card. To do it, you need specialized training or experience and the company needs to state that they have searched the US market for your skills and not found it. That's fairly easy with a standard work visa, it's much more difficult with a green card.

My understanding is that it does matter where you live, since work visa's are given priority by country, but I don't know that for sure.

Hi, and thanks for the great info.

How likely is it to send your resume to an US company (as a foreign citizen) and to have the company interviewing you?

Last edited:
Hi, and thanks for the great info.

How likely is it to send your resume to an US company (as a foreign citizen) and to have the company interviewing you?

I don't know. I've been out of the job market for 11 years now and I don't work in the electronics or engineering field anyway. My impression is that it is a lot harder now than it used to be. There's enough US residents out of work that new hiring foreign labor for higher skilled jobs is not as common.

So, AG, by my standards, you are just a young whippersnapper!

To post #25: I'm by nature a person who likes privacy and its got nothing to do with you.
My answer to this is: You are beeing usurious (I know, a strong word). You expect us to give you info for not the least bit of return. My ex comes to mind, but I am blessed now!

I don't know. I've been out of the job market for 11 years now and I don't work in the electronics or engineering field anyway. My impression is that it is a lot harder now than it used to be. There's enough US residents out of work that new hiring foreign labor for higher skilled jobs is not as common.

Thanks mate.

I guess I should improve my skills and make myself an expert in the field which i'm dealing with, though its hard when you're a student 'cause you got a limitted amount of time to enlarge your knowledge in certain subjects.

I think if you come from certain countries and look like, dress like and talk like a terrorist then you will have a problem coming to America.
Therefore those people all seem to be coming to Canada because I see them all over the place. I am afraid they might blow themselves up when near me.
Snort!! LOL!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back