Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Relay connection

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do believe that the cap is wrong way around but i was thinking of modifying the circuit by replacing the reset with a clap switch instead.because my lecturer told me that i should modify it a bit...don't know if it would work.how can i get the correct working circuit Ron?how can i reconfigure the relay?

Last edited:
OTAY!

This is the CD4020 data sheet. It used a logic 1 (High) on pin 11 the RST pin to reset the count. You may want to use a 555 configured as a One Shot (Monostable Multi Vibrator) to trigger a reset action on it.

I have some running to do this AM so later if you have questions. :)

or someone else may wander in.

Ron

Thanks Ron.Will go through the datasheet.Will be back if i happen to stumble on the way.Thanks again.

hi Christy,
I posted a circuit weeks ago for you on the 'anti sleep' gizmo.!

Attachments

• AAesp01.gif
    AAesp01.gif
    23.4 KB · Views: 150
Thank You Eric! I couldn't recall who the OP was on that affair. Christy, are you yanking my chain? That was you who posted the circuit from hell the first time around. :)

Ron

Thank You Eric! I couldn't recall who the OP was on that affair. Christy, are you yanking my chain? That was you who posted the circuit from hell the first time around. :)

Ron

hi Ron,
The circuit I posted previously was named Christy2.asc, thats why I recalled it.

Its a pity we cannot delete the 'drawing from hell' thats on the original site, there must be many wannabes trying to get the damn thing to work.

Haha,yeah Ron it was me who posted the diagram before...Thanks eric,but your diagram is a bit hard to follow,but will give it a shot.can u also help with the right way to connect that relay with just the light as the load only before i could injure myself.On the very beginning of this thread i uploaded the image of the relay im using where continuity exists between pin 3 and 5 and VNE helped on how to connect it according to the circuit diagram i uploaded for this thread. but need help with the relay connection on the 'antisleep alarm circuit' using that same image of the relay.
Thanks

Its a pity we cannot delete the 'drawing from hell' thats on the original site, there must be many wannabes trying to get the damn thing to work.

I know AudioGuru just loves that site. :)

I strongly agree. I guess what annoys me is also the "Tested" stamp on the circuit and you would think they would take the time to fix the thing. I have a difficult time believing any credible teacher or instructor of electronics would introduce students to that circuit to work from other than a great example of what not to do.

Christy, if you post that circuit again I will travel to S. Africa and take away all your electronic toys! :)

Ron

Haha,yeah Ron it was me who posted the diagram before...Thanks eric,but your diagram is a bit hard to follow,but will give it a shot.can u also help with the right way to connect that relay with just the light as the load only before i could injure myself.On the very beginning of this thread i uploaded the image of the relay im using where continuity exists between pin 3 and 5 and VNE helped on how to connect it according to the circuit diagram i uploaded for this thread. but need help with the relay connection on the 'antisleep alarm circuit' using that same image of the relay.
Thanks

Work with Eric's diagram and I am sure Eric will work with you. If you open a dictionary and look up Patience there is a tiny picture of Eric in the definition.

Ron

HAha,that made me chuckle!thats true hey,why would they just leave the diagram on there that doesn't work at all and to put an approval stamp on it...This is a site from India,are they trying to get people killed?or maybe it's just their strategy to reduce the population that way,after all they are the 2nd largest population on earth!besides I don't know why my lecturer didn't pick the problem in the circuit.My lecturer has this don't care attitude towards students.sucks!now i have a week to hand in this project and knowing that it wouldn't work.thats why i joined this forum to get professional people like yourselves to actually help learning students without any injury to themselves!I really appreciate what you guys do,thanks!

Yip will follow Erics diagram....the biggest treat is the wrong connections on the relay to the ac mains,which is dangerous,i just want to know the right configuration of the relay with just the light bulb only as load, then i will start slowly from there.

Thanks

hi,
Look at this circuit showing the relay, note the circuit is powered from 12Vdc.

NOTE: I would recommend that you use a buzzer in place of the mains supply and lamp in order to test the project, BEFORE using mains and lamp.

BTW: I hope to be in Port Elizabeth, Jan thru Mar next year.

Attachments

• Christy3.gif
    Christy3.gif
    48.2 KB · Views: 151
Last edited:
Wow, how can they post that piece of crap circuit? It would immediately trip a circuit breaker in your house or possibly even cause a fire. It seems like Eric has come up with a much better and most importantly, functional version of the circuit.

I'm not going to try to explain that circuit or the original one because in all honesty it would take me a little while to figure out what's going on there. I will however post a diagram of how the relay connection should have been made and how you can take the fan out of the circuit. At least now if you decide to try it you won't be dialing 911 or whatever the South African equivalent is.

**broken link removed**

Last edited:
I just submitted feedback to the electronicsforu website asking them to remove or correct the anti-sleep alarm circuit. I told them it could cause a fire. I probably just wasted my time but we'll see if anything happens.

Hi Eric,
I finally understood your diagram.I'm not the worst noob at this.I noticed you used the CD 4024 instead of the CD4020.is it the same principle coz i already bought the CD4020,or should i just get the CD4024? plus if i would want to change the clock duration for the timer, what formula should i use for the 555 timer to achieve a certain duration? and which capacitor should i change ,C1 or C2 or both?

I think u wasted your time on that vne,coz i told them the same a few weeks back but no response from them.Thanks for the reconfigured relay connection...u saved my life!

Hi Eric,
I finally understood your diagram.I'm not the worst noob at this.I noticed you used the CD 4024 instead of the CD4020.is it the same principle coz i already bought the CD4020,or should i just get the CD4024? plus if i would want to change the clock duration for the timer, what formula should i use for the 555 timer to achieve a certain duration? and which capacitor should i change ,C1 or C2 or both?

Hi Eric,

hi,
The CD4020 doesn't have all the lower order outputs, so its not directly compatible with CD4024.
Note for the 1800Sec period, C2 = 220mF.
With R2 then 50K pot at max , the period will be 3600Sec.
If you half the value of C2 , say 100uF, you could set the period for 900sec.

I will post a link...done

Look at this link for a 555 calculator.
https://www.electro-tech-online.com/blogs/ericgibbs/125-simple-7555-cmos-timer-calculator-v1-2.html

Last edited:
wow,did u create that 555 calculator with VB?the 555 timer that u designed to help me,is it a monostable or astable configuration?seen astable to me.I would really like to know the formular on how to calculate the period because my lecturer would want to see how i went about calculating it. is it like T=0.7(R1+R2)C2 ? just to clarify is that buzzer at the bottom of the schematic u posted?which output pin of the cd4024 should i connect the driver to?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back