Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

recovering a 110 Ah lesiure battery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thunderchild

I got a 12 V 110 Ah that has had a hard time, it seems to have approximately 40 Ah capacity.
having (hopefully) fully charged it at a slow rate of 800-900 mA as thats all it would take it lasted about 10 hours supplying about 4 amps.
I've put it on charge again and its charging a bit faster now, i plan on fully discharging it again and recharging and so on and see what happens, what are the chance of recovering it ?

Never allow a lead acid battery to fully discharge. They are not like nicads that benefit from a full discharge. Have a read of one the FAQs on LA batteries (**broken link removed**). One thing I have found that does help to rejuvenate LA batteries is an electric fence controller. Silicon chip Magazine did a circuit based on this fact for the purpose of battery rejuvenation (clicky).

Mike.

Last edited:
...One thing I have found that does help to rejuvenate LA batteries is an electric fence controller. Silicon chip Magazine did a circuit based on this fact for the purpose of battery rejuvenation (clicky).

Before you go off building or buying a "pulse charger" , read my post on this forum

I got a 12 V 110 Ah that has had a hard time, it seems to have approximately 40 Ah capacity.
having (hopefully) fully charged it at a slow rate of 800-900 mA as thats all it would take it lasted about 10 hours supplying about 4 amps.
I've put it on charge again and its charging a bit faster now, i plan on fully discharging it again and recharging and so on and see what happens, what are the chance of recovering it ?
None.I would wager if you had X-ray vision, you would see the missing battery capacity sitting down in the sediment tray (bottom of the case). Lead acid batteries go away with use and the plate coating is burned away and falls down. If the sediment gets deep enough it shorts the cell out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back