Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Really quick question-mono audio socket

Status
Not open for further replies.

spitso

Hi there

I have purchased a 3.5 audio socket, i want to use it as mono but im only getting sound out of one earplug. The socket has 3 legs but i dont believe the middle leg is connected to anything...
Is there a way to turn this into stereo?

**broken link removed**

Last edited:
Three leads generally means the socket has a left right and ground conductor? If he's only getting sound out of one earbud all he has to do is connect the left and right leads together.

Last edited:
One of the bottom leg works as an internal switch for disconnecting speakers when earphone is plugged in.

Woops, that's what I get for not looking at the supplied part description =\ I'm just full of stupid posts latley.

He could modify the headsets phono jack though. Solder bridge the L/R lines on the male side and both ears will get the mono signal. Just don't use too much solder.

Woops, that's what I get for not looking at the supplied part description =\ I'm just full of stupid posts latley.

I followed his link and checked, it's just a mono switched socket.

He could modify the headsets phono jack though. Solder bridge the L/R lines on the male side and both ears will get the mono signal. Just don't use too much solder.

Almost certainly a moulded plug, easier to get the correct socket.

Stereo headset jacks have their three connectors right there on the shaft of the plug, easy to slap a dab of solder on. Why buy a new plug when you just need a mono headset =) Easier to modify the headset than replace the jack.

connecting L and R together would work i suppose, but not always same headphones would be used.....so i suppose ill just have to buy a stereo plug DOOOH should have just done that in the first place.

thanks

connecting L and R together would work i suppose, but not always same headphones would be used.....so i suppose ill just have to buy a stereo plug DOOOH should have just done that in the first place.
No.
You need a stereo jack (socket), not a plug.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back