Really quick question-mono audio socket

Status
Not open for further replies.

spitso

Hi there

I have purchased a 3.5 audio socket, i want to use it as mono but im only getting sound out of one earplug. The socket has 3 legs but i dont believe the middle leg is connected to anything...
Is there a way to turn this into stereo?

**broken link removed**

Last edited:
Three leads generally means the socket has a left right and ground conductor? If he's only getting sound out of one earbud all he has to do is connect the left and right leads together.

Last edited:
Woops, that's what I get for not looking at the supplied part description =\ I'm just full of stupid posts latley.

He could modify the headsets phono jack though. Solder bridge the L/R lines on the male side and both ears will get the mono signal. Just don't use too much solder.

Woops, that's what I get for not looking at the supplied part description =\ I'm just full of stupid posts latley.

I followed his link and checked, it's just a mono switched socket.

He could modify the headsets phono jack though. Solder bridge the L/R lines on the male side and both ears will get the mono signal. Just don't use too much solder.

Almost certainly a moulded plug, easier to get the correct socket.

Stereo headset jacks have their three connectors right there on the shaft of the plug, easy to slap a dab of solder on. Why buy a new plug when you just need a mono headset =) Easier to modify the headset than replace the jack.

connecting L and R together would work i suppose, but not always same headphones would be used.....so i suppose ill just have to buy a stereo plug DOOOH should have just done that in the first place.

thanks

connecting L and R together would work i suppose, but not always same headphones would be used.....so i suppose ill just have to buy a stereo plug DOOOH should have just done that in the first place.
No.
You need a stereo jack (socket), not a plug.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…