Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

reading a 4x4 switch matrix

Status
Not open for further replies.
From memory i am sure Nigel posted a pic of a pic and his thumb. I am sure he will correct me if i get it wrong... But i think he did something pretty bad to it and it got so hot his thumb was burnt, AFAIK the pic lived!! I think Nigel did as well lol, i am positive there is a post here on it. But 7 years a member and it gets harder to remember some the older posts.

MrDeb....

Look no school and little this or that dont cut nothing with me. Profit or Loss you make and sell things others have done most the work on, it dont take much schooling to work out that the decent thing is give them credit on the boards at least. Lets just not talk about it ok.

You got a view and i got a view, i just got strong feelings about stuff like that.

And seriously if you thanked every time you should then your posts would be at least two hundred pages longer than they already are, so lets leave it ok.

Little Ghostman,

On the topic of a thank you reply posts, it is my opinion that they tend to clutter the topic if all they do is express thanks. If that is all you have to say then please use the "like" button. If you have more to add to the topic then by all means include a thank you note with your additional relevant content.

On the topic of the content I post here: When others use my code or schematics without attribution I expect them to accept the blame for my mistakes. (fures esse monuit)

Last edited:
Little Ghostman,

On the topic of a thank you reply posts, it is my opinion that they tend to clutter the topic if all they do is express thanks. If that is all you have to say then please use the "like" button. If you have more to add to the topic then by all means include a thank you note with you additional relevant content.

On the topic of the content I post here: When others use my code or schematics without attribution I expect them to accept the blame for my mistakes. (fures esse monuit)
No offense your new, my remarks are aimed at those that have tried for nearly a decade to help.... post after post after post. I wasnt really suggesting someone that posts a couple of schematics should get the glory board treatment, i was thinking more of the few who despite the legions of others whho gave up LONG ago, have stuck with it and showed true grit post after post year after year.

I think it might help you to go read some of the OP's classics, under normal circumstances i would have agreed with you, then again under NORMAL circumstances i wouldnt have posted what I did. Sometimes it pays to do a little research first.

I admit your help has been great and you have supplied some good material, now hang around this thread for the next 12 months and continue to help at your current pace. I have set a reminder on the machine, so if your still here in this thread with the others in 12 months time, i will ask if your opinion has changed. My gut feeling however is you will bail out of thread in another 12 pages or so, dont take offense at this its perfectly understandable as your about to witness.

Anyway seeing as you have a good solution to the current topic, I am sure the others wont mind stepping back while you help Mr Deb get your project up and running. None of this is micky taking i do genuinely think your solution is excellent and it would be what i would personally go with. So view this as a baptism of fire. :D Over to you Dan, and TBH as you did point out the google landers will learn loads from what you already put.

But you have done the easy bit, now your mission is to get Mr Deb to get it working, or put another way.....now you got the really hard bit.

I want to address all that criticized me for a so called profit from info I gained from this forum. If anything I have lost money no profit.

There are several members that have benefited from posts made on this and many other forum so don't throw rocks.

I want to address all that criticized me for a so called profit from info I gained from this forum. If anything I have lost money no profit.

There are several members that have benefited from posts made on this and many other forum so don't throw rocks.
I assure you... I have never thought you were doing this for profit!!! And I can bet... Everyone else thinks this too..

Personally I like reading your threads.... You put up with some negativity!!! But!! you will get there in the end!!

Thanks Ian I really enjoy pic programming and electronics in general
Post # 110 116 and 7 seems like I am not grateful for the help/advise.
Am tracking down why I am getting a Vdd error when trying to program a chip. Thinking a crossed connection between Vdd and Grd on a perf board.

You done made boards. Why perf board Id solder one of them babies up.

The ADC for buttons would work way better I still think. Keypad for adding.

And you don't need much back light I don't think you would play this at night in the dark if that's so the game button need's back lighting.

But there are lot's of toys that run for months on 2 AA

I could care less if you sale them I hope you do.

But you do seem not to try what people post the way they post it hell I'm sure we all do.

It's been 11 year's here for you 10 for me we both should be EE's by NOW lol.

P.S I get laughs reading all this tho I been around for a long time on the web and I can still remember when I see post where some have changed there minds.

....There are several members that have benefited from posts made on this and many other forum....

This is the reason I incessantly explain the details and point out errors. For the benefit other others who may read these forum threads to try and learn something. Somebody will learn something even if it may not be you.

Generally speaking, if I'm looking for answers to something I don't understand, forum threads with many pages are useless. There may be some valuable information, but sifting through pages and pages to find something thst might be there isn't worth the hassle.

Speaking of worthwhile information, the PICkit 2 is extremely good at self perservation. If you have a short, you have to unplug the PICkit from the USB port, shut down the GUI and start over. Otherwise, the PICkit won't reset.

It's easy finding shorts now days the pickit3 don't like un powered boards the little supply I have has no problems kicking out 5 amps which then has no problems finding the short lol burnt fingers if your not careful.

Long ago, when shorts on commercially made boards were not unheard of, one of my colleagues would connect a car battery across shorted traces. Something would disappear in a puff of smoke! Hopefully something you didn't want ;)

My short is on my cobbled perf board, not the pictured boards that have yet to arrive. Yes cobbled, I ran out of Kynar wire so a cat5 cable was cannibalized for wire. Not real neat and pretty.
I really enjoy Jons posts, very enlightening.
Have yet to get the DMM and find out where. That's tomorrow as tonight is Mexican Train night so another late night is planned.

s-l225.jpg

Not to cool i like Mrdebs black ones better.

Last edited:
My take on these threads is that sound advice tends to go unheeded, repeatedly.
Sorry MrDEB, but that's the way it comes across.
Jon, Burt, Ian, Mike, Dan, LG and others offering advice do this stuff day in and day out. Some for a living and some for pleasure.
The common theme between all of the members contributing is that they want you to learn and succeed.
It's quite frustrating, even as a spectator, to see a sound solution offered to a problem, which then appears to be ignored.
Imagine the frustration felt by the person(s) taking valuable time out of their day to write code and compose a helpful forum post, which clearly indicates the concern and provides the remedy, to have it just brushed over and seemingly rejected.
Please don't take this as a dig at you personally, because it isn't meant that way.
I'm sure you have the very best of intentions with these projects, but it comes across as you are trying to run before you can crawl.
The help provided, should you take full advantage of it, will help you fly...

My 0.02

Mickster

Nice to see your still around your view about this is dead on . I really like Mrdeb and it does dig in.
This little game could be a done deal a long time ago.

Burt its only 7 pages in!!! thats a mere introduction!! Another 27 and we find out that the game has changed 21 pages ago but no one was informed. Yes threads of epic proportions!! But fair play he does ok for a beginner.

...But fair play he does ok for a beginner...

MrDEB started programming microcontrollers about the same time I did. Prior to that, I had a Fortran IV class in college snd I had used Basic on my Atari 800. And some self-taught Visual Basic.

I try to make new mistakes. No use to keep making the same old ones. There's no shortage of new ones just waiting to ne made!

No offense you're new, my remarks are aimed at those that have tried for nearly a decade to help.... post after post after post.
No worries mate, this ain't my first rodeo. I help where I can an do not expect much. My standards are so low that MrDEB should be hard pressed to disappoint me.

It seems to me that the group here is riding MrDEB a bit hard. As he is spending this evening playing Mexican Train dominoes at the community center for the +55 set perhaps he is someone rich in years. Such persons may enjoy the process of creation more than any individual completion.

The old adage that one can lead a mule to the lake but you can't make her drink applies.

Responses to this situation differ depending on your vocation, this is an end for an engineer but for a sales person other options could apply. So she doesn't drink but can she swim?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back