Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

radio frequency circuit design

Status
Not open for further replies.

bananasiong

i'm now doing my final project. i need to attach a radio frequency circuit to my robot. i couldn't find any circuit about that. i need only the transmitter send a pulse, and the receiver just receive it and response to it. can any one help me??

bananasiong said:
i'm now doing my final project. i need to attach a radio frequency circuit to my robot. i couldn't find any circuit about that. i need only the transmitter send a pulse, and the receiver just receive it and response to it. can any one help me??
search for Fm transmitter and receiver ckt

u mean search from the foeum of eletro-tech-online??
is it necessary for me to use fm?? or am??

Schematics and kits for relatively simple transmitters are abundant for the FM broadcast bands. That might explain the recommendation. I see a lot of activity in this forum regarding the 433 mHz modules (transmitter and receiver) that are fairly common and inexpensive. Much of the hard work is done for you but that may not be allowed by your instructor. You also need to consider the rules and regulations that apply to your location. Your instructor may or may not expect you to comply.

If you have to build everything yourself give some consideration to lower frequencies such as AM broadcast. At higher frequencies keeping the transmitter and receiver on the same frequency will be a challenge with relatively simple circuits. More complex designs are out there however they can be a challenge to construct.

Lots of choices here. Share some of the rules with us. Maybe you are allowed to use a receiver that you have around - that would simplify things to a great degree.

what i need is, the distance between the antenna of tx and rx should be very close to get connection. but i can't use ir, because i'm using my robot in dirty environment. the receiver is inside the robot, when the robot goes near to the tx antenna (less than 10cm if possible), once it receives the rf, it will change direction and so on. the rest is almost okay, my problem now is the rf circuit.

Attachments

• 1_170.jpg
    1_170.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 1,560
bananasiong said:
what i need is, the distance between the antenna of tx and rx should be very close to get connection. but i can't use ir, because i'm using my robot in dirty environment. the receiver is inside the robot, when the robot goes near to the tx antenna (less than 10cm if possible), once it receives the rf, it will change direction and so on. the rest is almost okay, my problem now is the rf circuit.
in this case , u wont need the txs described above.

since the "ant" encircles the robot, just pass a low/medium freq current thru that line at low voltage(need to be experimented) , the robot shld tune into that freq .

oh!! thanks.. but, i don't know how to construct low frequency tx and rx as well.. can u show me a simple circuit?? i can't find the circuit from the net also.. thanks

bananasiong said:
oh!! thanks.. but, i don't know how to construct low frequency tx and rx as well.. can u show me a simple circuit?? i can't find the circuit from the net also.. thanks
u didn't find anything from net .. :shock: :roll: .. ur app doesn't need freq stability , use a 555 osc ...

akg said:
bananasiong said:
u didn't find anything from net .. :shock: :roll: .. ur app doesn't need freq stability , use a 555 osc ...
use a 555 timer?? how it transmit the signal?? and how about the receiving part?? sorry.. i realy need helps..

that last circuit is good, except that the following should be done:

Instead of connecting the output of the 555 to a pull-down resistor, do this:

Connect the output of the 555 to one end of a large value capacitor. The other end is connected to a grounded tank circuit. Stick the antenna at the point where the two capacitors are connected (one being in the tank circuit).
Set the values in the tank circuit so that its resonant frequency is the frequency you want to transmit on.

I do advise the coupling capacitor in order to prevent the output from shorting to the ground via the inductor.

mstechca said:
that last circuit is good, except that the following should be done:

Connect the output of the 555 to one end of a large value capacitor. The other end is connected to a grounded tank circuit. Stick the antenna at the point where the two capacitors are connected (one being in the tank circuit).
Set the values in the tank circuit so that its resonant frequency is the frequency you want to transmit on.

I do advise the coupling capacitor in order to prevent the output from shorting to the ground via the inductor.

"connect the o/p of the 555 to one end of a large value capacitor?, then how about the resistor between the o/p and the antenna? ignore it? and.. what is tank circuit?.. for the receiving part.. what is the triangle thing? and what is the mouser? sorry.. i really don't understand.. please show me the correct circuit design... thank you so much..

mstechca said:
i don't think these modification have any advantage in the present context , apart from adding complexity .

bananasiong said:
what is tank circuit?..
it is a heart of an LC oscillator , where the oscillations start.
what is the triangle thing? and what is the mouser?
the 'triangle' thing is an 'operational amplifier' or simply opamp
and mouser is a company , the number shown is their catalog number for that part.

akg said:
i don't think these modification have any advantage in the present context , apart from adding complexity .

I have included an attachment that shows the circuit. It should be easy to hook up.

And the advantage with this circuit is that the output is actually going someplace useful!

All that the current output is doing (without making any modifications) is giving itself to the resistor. and what I like to know is, other than generating heat, Why would anyone (with experience) want to just connect a grounded resistor to the output, and nothing else?

anyways, the tank circuit in my diagram is the inductor (the bottom-left-most component) and the capacitor (two T's with their heads almost touching each other) next to it. The coupling capacitor is the remaining component.

I suggest using a large value capacitor so that a large portion of the signal can be passed on. I suggest a 0.1uF capacitor. Capacitors do block DC, so there is NO chance of a short circuit.

Now on to the tank. The goal is to pick a low inductor, and a low capacitor value. and use the following equation to determine the resonant frequency (the frequency you will will be transmitting on).

f = 1/(2*pi*sqr(l*c))

pi is equal to whatever appears on your calculator after you press the "pi" button. sqr means "square root of".

Attachments

• ckt_326.gif
    ckt_326.gif
    1.5 KB · Views: 733
akg said:
bananasiong said:
what is tank circuit?..
it is a heart of an LC oscillator , where the oscillations start.
what is the triangle thing? and what is the mouser?
the 'triangle' thing is an 'operational amplifier' or simply opamp
and mouser is a company , the number shown is their catalog number for that part.

oh i see! thanks a lot! so just ignore the word mouser... just get a same value inductor, am i right? from the transmitting part, the sentence "use a 10k pot to adjust frequency".. is it variable resistor? there is no variable resistor.. and.. for the receiving part, how do i know if i get the signal? don't we need to tune at the output??

thanks for answering my question..

mstechca said:
I suggest using a large value capacitor so that a large portion of the signal can be passed on. I suggest a 0.1uF capacitor. Capacitors do block DC, so there is NO chance of a short circuit.

u mean.. a large value capacitor, which one? both or only one? the one parallel with the inductor? or the one straight from output?? then how about the value of the inductor?? thanks a lot...

Mstechca, you are an interesting character. It apparently never crossed your mind that Russ has been around the block a few more times than you, and might know something you don't. I don't want to imply that you know nothing, but you might want to consider that Russ is a retired engineer, while you are a hobbyist still struggling to understand the fundamentals of electronics. It would behoove you to ask how his circuit works, instead of proclaiming that it doesn't.
Russ's circuit is setting up a alternating current in the loop. This causes the loop to radiate an electromagnetic field. The receiver will pick up that field when it gets close to the loop. More current will be launched into that loop (which is an inductor, BTW) his way than you will ever get by trying drive one end of it off a tank circuit.
One way to improve the efficiency might be to resonate the loop (possibly a multi-turn loop) with a capacitor, and drive it with a transistor operated in class C mode.

A tank circuit is a high impedance parallel resonant circuit. It should be driven from the very high impedance of the collector of a transistor, not the very low impedance output of a 555 where it won't do anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back