Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Questions about piezo igniter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Athosworld

I extracted this piezo igniter from a gas kitchen lighter and tested it: 1.It can shock quite badly 2.It arcs.

Questions:
1.What voltage does it produce?
2.Can I use it to charge a 1kV capacitor?
3.Can I use it as a shocker prank?

I managed to get shocked when I accidentally put my finger in the arc and the arc arced to me, it doesn’t hurt that much but it is certainly unpleasant.
7FEC62C5-86A4-4563-8EE2-3442B5EBD8B3.jpeg

What voltage does it produce?
A spark will jump about 1mm per 1000v in dry air.

.Can I use it to charge a 1kV capacitor?
The high voltage may break down the dielectric in a 1000v capacitor.

If you had a capacitor with sufficient voltage rating, there would be so little energy from the piezo device that the capacitor would not charge to much voltage.

Can I use it as a shocker prank?
You could, but be prepared for the prankee to turn around and punch you in the face, or go to the police and claim that you assaulted them.

JimB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back