Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Question About Running Driven Ignition Coil Without Load (Open)

Status
Not open for further replies.

eutorius

For prolonged times. The reason I ask is that in web pages that offer high voltage modules and supplies for sale, they state that running it without a load or without it producing sparks for more than 15 minutes will result in a "buildup" in the coil or in the other components, which will cause the device to fail.
What I want to do is to drive a high-performance ignition coil with, say, a 555 timer driver or other simple driver, with a 12 volt source at one or two amps (maybe more later, after I accomplish that) for periods not exceeding 24 hours. From 12 to 24 hours.
I have also considered using a bug light transformer or other HV transformer with a full wave bridge rectifier.
There is no other factor that will be apparently important electrically or electronically. I may also go with an amplified DC audio signal as an input.
The output will only go to a piece of aluminum sheet metal, formed into a certain shape. First, the positive coil output will be connected to it, then the negative output of the ignition coil. For equal amounts of time, and it will alternate between the two, for periods ranging from one to fifteen minutes.
The formed sheet metal will be insulated on one side, by cloth that will be adhesed to it with spray adhesive.
There will be a significant space between the SPDT switch contacts that the HV output, + and - are connected to, an inch or inches, to isolate them from one another.
Will an electrical charge build up in the coil until it fails? Will it explode? Melt? Will it otherwise stop producing the 42 kV output which is my goal?
I have considered a setup which will, when the negative pole is connected to the sheet metal, a mechanical arrangement that will connect the positive pole to a plasma globe to drain off charge, but I really don't want to go to the extra trouble, which will be considerable, if I don't have to.
Or would some non-coil source of HV DC be better for this purpose?
Thank you for your time.

Last edited:
Also, is current flow with a rectified coil output the same as with a battery? I'm not talking about electron hole flow and all that. Just basically positive to negative. I know that unless it is filtered it will vary, unlike a battery, but otherwise... Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back