Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Putting the CPU in another room

Status
Not open for further replies.

ALEXE EMIL

Hi ya all! I have made the remarcable thing of putting my CPU in the room next to my bedroom, wich I use as an electronics lab, as a sollution to the fans & cooler noise problem. No problem about connecting any components, but I have a stupid problem with the display. Even if I connected each of it's 12 wires (r, r-ground, g, g-ground, b, b-ground, hs, vs, etc.) using shielded cable (each wire shielded, that is), the image still has a slight shadow to the right, not too visible, but enough to be iritating. I've done everything by the book, each of the shields of the long cable wires (all but the colour grounds) connected with the display's ground. Is the length of 7 meters simply too much for the data to be transmitted in useful time? There's one thing I haven't tried: putting a shield around all wires, might that work? I also want to ask if there are any IDE/USB converters for cd-roms, I have tried to connect my cd-rom unit through a 7 meter IDE cable, but, as expected, it didn't work at all

Are You sure the color cables 75ohm? I'm sure, the IDE bus can't work with 7m cable! Max length about 1m.

a quick search of the web reveals numerous outlets in europe
stocking both VGA cable boosters and more USB extenders than one can shake a stick at, with claims of 150 feet or more. and yes an IDE to USB adaptor can be found as well, but sorry peeps, no free advertising.

Personally I would go for one of the wireless products.

I agree Tanis wireless is the way to go. I have my main computer set up in the house and I can use my laptop in the shed 50 metres away giving me wireless broadband in the shed :D

Strange I had and idea like this this morning, only to put the Tower in the attic in winter and in the basement in summer.

Was toying with the idea of building an air filter / dust-trap for the PC
along the the lines of the Dyson vacuum cleaner, only a bit smaller.

Foam pads are a pain to keep clean and the last time I opened up my pc was astonished to find the remains of at least four assorted critters inside!

But why bother to move the pc between winter and summer , just get
a long 4" hose, the sort of thing they use on tumble dryers and run that to the cool air source. Hmm probably not as mad as is sounds, with some homes already having the vacuum cleaner system built into the walls, reversing the air flow...I wonder

Hi Tanis,
good project to ponder but with laptops becomin so cheap why not encapsulate one in a box using electrical seals and put the other bits like keyboards, monitors, usbhubs and other stuff thru those seals and the best bit is a standard laptop draws only bout 40 watts of power. I'm thinking of this idea as I'm running my house completly on solar and I still want broadband in me shed so your idea has indeed inspired me to think :idea:

cheers Bryan1 :D

Sorry if I'll shock you, but I had no problem using my CD-ROM unit with a 2.5 meter cable. Anyway, I can't go wireless. I don't have enough money for that. Thanks for the tip about the 75 ohm cable. Didn't know that. I'll try BNC cable or plain coaxial cable. I think it will work.

Are the shields connected to ground at only one end? If they are connected at both you may have just enough current flow through them to cause the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back