Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PSU dual-voltage switch question

Status
Not open for further replies.

indecided

Hi there everybody,

I've got a PSU which i'm building and I need to make it dual voltage (110/240v) switchable. The circut is already built to accomodate this, but my question would be, what sort of switch/pair of switch types would be good to accomodate this? I initially wanted to use DIP switches for ease (hard to confuse which one to switch) but after realizing most DIP switches have a low voltage & current rating, i'm asking for help. Another alternative I also thought of would be a pair of DPDT and SPDT switches.

Please do advise on the best method of addressing this issue. Thanks!

Attachments

• steps11-sch.png
    steps11-sch.png
    36.7 KB · Views: 323
indecided said:
Another alternative I also thought of would be a pair of DPDT and SPDT switches.

You use a single DPDT switch, of the type slide or toggle, as shown. Please ensure that you only change the voltage setting with power OFF.

Attachments

• steps11-schx.png
    steps11-schx.png
    18.9 KB · Views: 314
I would be careful about any easily operated switch, it could be too easily operated by accident!. Usually such switches are recessed to prevent this, or, going back even further, you had to remove, rotate, and reinsert a plug to change it!.

Yeah, I really do hate those switches myself. I got a piece of kit with one once, and it said "shipped set to 230v" in the manual. But I checked it and it read 110v. Then I just didn't know whether it hadn't been set right, or if it meant move it that way to set it to 110v. I never used it as it happens for that and other reasons and swapped it for something else. I like the way modern switch mode supplies automatically adjust to use the right input.

Thanks for the insight, everybody.

I had already thought the whole switching power issue over before implementing it (i'm in the states now, but when I go home to 240v...) so it's more of a "maybe twice a year" option. I guess i'll wire up the switch internally and if I want to change voltages, i'll just open the whole thing up again to flick the switch.

Speaking of which, does anybody in the states know where else I can get Amveco toroidal transformers from besides Digikey? They have a 45 day backorder on the part i want (70053) and it's really annoying the heck out of me. Amveco doesn't entertain orders below 500 pieces and Digikey is their _only_ distributor...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back