Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

!!!ps/2 keyboard!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

FNTA5Y

What im basically after is the schematic for a PS/2 keyboard. When you open one up you see a chip (like the one provided in the picture i have attached) each one tabs which are connected to the plastic sheets inside with a whole spider web of tracks that run back to the controller. One for the top sheet, one for the bottom, which give the computer the message that for example... the F key has been pressed.

16-avant2.jpg

What i want is the whole schematic and what chip is used so i can make my own one which connects to a computer, does not need additional software to install it and that i can attach my own buttons to.

We did one soldering seperate wires onto each one but it got really fidley and was really messy and would prefer to design one from scratch adding on a few additional things to complete our project...

any help would be much appreciated...

cheers

Last edited:
It's easy to just solder wires onto the PCB pads that normally go to the keyboard matrix. There should be 2 connectors to the plastic sheets, I'm guessing 1 is rows and 1 is columns of the matrix.

If you're intent on redesigning the board, just trace out the circuit of the keyboard circuit you posted, remove the parts and stick them onto your new board. As I see it, you've already got every part that you need (and the wiring laid out for you).

this picture is just an example that i took from google... the actual keyboard that is being used has half a mm thick tracks making soldering wires on ultrafine and hard.. also the chip is one of those black blob kind of ones with no markings

i just had to find a pic on google because i had not yet uploaded one..

Seems to me you're going about this the wrong way. You only need to know the PS/2 protocol and send characters to the PC that way like a keyboard does. Who cares about the keyboard schematic if you're creating your own keyboard.

well all i wanna know is what that chip is... then i can create my own keyboard... basically i dont want it looking like this anymore

25-Attaching-wires.jpg

except ours was neater

That big chip is a microcontroller. You're not going to creat a keyboard from the schematic just, because the microcontroller has a program stored in it. You'd need to write that program yourself unless you use the exact chip.

Last edited:
true... well any ideas on a microcontroller that can handle at least 20 potentiometers.. its really hard to try and explain what im trying to do because we are chopping and changing our mind each time on what we want it to do and what we want to add to it... but this video will give you a very very very basic idea...

and we are trying to make something like that.. but with alot more pots to control everything in this screenshot and more... the actual microcontroller he has used we dont want because it does not have enough inputs for all the pots we intend to use... it is a little bit more then what i have asked originally in this post but this would be just as good...

26-Traktor_Scratch_Pro_Screenshot_big.jpg

sorry if its not making sense.. having heaps of trouble really trying to explain it..

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back