Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Protection against static

Status
Not open for further replies.

Urahara

Hi

I have 8 pins from a PIC MCU wired to a RJ45 as connection to the outside world via sensors (LDR, LM35, etc). Some of the 8 pins are used as inputs, the rest as outputs.

Some questions:
1)Is it advisable and necessary to put in static protection? I am talking abt those generated when you drag your feet against a carpeted floor and then touching the door knob, for example.

2)Is it true that I only need to protect those pins configured as input pins? or output pins would also need to be protected?

3) Am thinking of using a pair of schottky diodes for input pin protection. see attached. got the idea from **broken link removed**. Would it be the same if output pins need to be protected too?

Thks!

Attachments

• esd protection.jpg
    esd protection.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 261
sounds good! :D

how abt my query abt protection of output pins? is it necessary, assuming the IC does not hv protection diodes like the PIC?

Some documents recommend a low value series resistor in series with an input pin in order to limit the current thru the internal protection diodes, say a 220R.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back