Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Protecting Circuit From 20kv Spikes - Spark Plug Ion Sensing

Status
Not open for further replies.

adamey

This is for an ion sensing system for an automobile engine.

I have a voltage source of 200-400V (final voltage to be determined by testing). This is applied to the spark plug. Under certain conditions the spark gap will break down and current will flow. I have a circuit to measure this current as drawn from my supply. Based on current flow vs time I can determine certain operating conditions of the engine.

Problem is that when the ignition coil fires I will get a short voltage spike on the same lead going to the spark plug which could hit 20kv. I want to prevent that from going back into my power supply.

I found a school paper from someone who built a functioning circuit. He didn't post schematics but stated he used 20 x 1kv avalanche rated diodes in series between his power supply and the spark plug. This seems a little hokey to me.

Does anyone know a better way I could prevent high voltage from the ignition coil from entering my circuit? FYI, my current measurements don't start until about 1ms after ignition, so perhaps some sort of "switch" would be possible to turn on the supply after ignition rather than have it permanently connected with diodes.

I have an 18kV stick diode TV18s that will do the job. The only problem the is the forward voltage drop - about 200v.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back