Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Project: Strobe Light

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElectroMaster

Administrator
Strobe lights are widely used by disco lovers to create wonderful visual effects in disco halls and auditoria. The circuit of a battery operated portable miniature strobe light, which can be constructed using readily available inexpensive components, is described here. For convenience and simplicity, an ordinary neon lamp is used here in place of the conventional Xenon tube. The whole gadget can thus be easily accommodated in a small cabinet, such as a mains adaptor cover, with a suitable reflector for neon lamp to give a proper look. Since current requirement of this circuit is very small, it may be powered by two medium-size dry cells (3V) or Ni-Cd cells (2.4V). Transistors T1 and T2 in the circuit form a complimentary-pair amplifier. When switch S1 is momentarily depressed, the circuit oscillates because of the positive feedback provided via resistor R2 and capacitor C1 to the base of transistor T1. The sharp pulses in the secondary winding induce a high voltage in primary winding of transformer X1, which in fact is a line driver transformer (used in reverse) which is generally used in 36cm TV sets. High voltage pulses induced in primary side are rectified by diode D1 and rapidly charge reservoir capacitor C2 to nearly 300V DC. When switch S1 is released, capacitor C2 holds the voltage level for a finite period while capacitor C3 charges slowly through resistor R3. When voltage across capacitor C3 becomes high enough, neon strikes and the capacitor rapidly discharges through the lamp. When voltage across capacitor C3 falls below the extinguishing potential of neon lamp, it goes off and capacitor C3 starts charging again. This cycle keeps on repeating for a short time, based on the reservoir capacitor C2’s value. Precautions. The neon lamp flasher section of this circuit carries dangerously high voltages. All precautions should therefore be taken for protection. Before any repair work, discharge capacitor C2 using a short length of wire with a 100k resistor connected in series.

strobe_light.gif

What are the values of the capacitors?

:?

I'm using this circuit for use with my technology project.... :wink:

it ses right on the picture.

c1-1uf
c2-10uf
c3-1uf

and make sure that C1 and C3 are polyester type. Also, make sure that C2 is rated for 450 volts or higher. otherwise it'll go POP, and not work anymore :lol:

Sorry, i meant the transistors.

Basically, I need to create that circuit in crocodile clips as a .ckt and I dunno how to coz there isn't a "neon lamp" in crocodile clips.

:(

And I don't know the values for the transistors or the transformer.

:(:(:(

Such transistor oscilator circuits causes crocodile clips to freze until you do somting to the circuit to bring it out of oscilaton

but you can replace the transistors whith an 555 Timer that drives an power transistor that drives the transformer

why wod you want to simulate the circuit?
or you want to know how it works.I wod explaing it to you if you want.

Basically, I'm trying to find a circuit for a strobe light that runs on either 3v or 9v (anything except 230v) to use for my electronics project.

And I ain't that bright with electronics ... :wink: :(

I need the circuit for PCB Wizard(v 2.5), and I need the values of all the components.

Any help would be appreciated :wink:

how about the price of transformer...?
it's uncommon trafo right?

Cheap low voltage strobes...

Have you seen those single use cameras, with flash? Just take one apart....
You can get just the guts from surplus online, like from Alltronics or The Electronics Goldmine...

I need to run two strobe light on 12v in alternating flash pattern!!
Any one can help me please!! Flash tube is that of Kodak disposable cameras!

killer007 said:
I have all the components from the cameras, but need a 12v circuit to use them in!!!

You should also be aware that flash guns don't use strobe tubes, they are VERY different items - flash gun tubes are only desgined to give a very small number of flashes during their life. Using one as a strobe means it's life is probably only measured in minutes?.

ok, what i want to do is either be able to fit them in the head and tail lights for more visual effect when the alarm is activated!!

Nigel Goodwin said:
You should also be aware that flash guns don't use strobe tubes, they are VERY different items - flash gun tubes are only desgined to give a very small number of flashes during their life. Using one as a strobe means it's life is probably only measured in minutes?.

Actually I have found they last for quite a long time, depending on how many Jules of power you use.

And some of the actual U-Shaped strobe tubes also have sort life expectancies.

You really need to look at the Manufacturers Spec's on these tubes, before you buy them.

i don't see how the camera flash tubes are any different to normal strobe tubes except for the size and power required to run them?

things said:
i don't see how the camera flash tubes are any different to normal strobe tubes except for the size and power required to run them?

A camera flash tube is designed to only provide a small number of flashes, at a VERY low duty cycle - strobe tubes are designed to provide a great many more flashes, at a much higher duty cycle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back