Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Proction circuit for the output of a protection recharger

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

The title is wrong ! I am sorry!

That should be "Protection circuit for the output of a battery recharger".

Any way, I am implementing a way to protect my recharger output against reverse battery polarity connection.

I am using a P-MOSFET (low Rds during ON state) and a TIP31C (or any other NPN) as its driver, the way that is shown above.

**broken link removed**

What do you think about it ?

Is there any common way to do the protection I am looking for?

During simulations (using Multisim) it seems to work fine.

Is there any other suggestion?

Thank you

Last edited:
What turns on the TIP31C? It seems that it is off if the battery polarity is correct, meaning that the P-Fet is off too. Something is wrong. Maybe if you reverse the emitter and collector of the TIP31?

What turns on the TIP31C? It seems that it is off if the battery polarity is correct, meaning that the P-Fet is off too. Something is wrong. Maybe if you reverse the emitter and collector of the TIP31?

The TIP31 is turned on by a correct connection of the battery (+Vbat at the R4 and -Vbat at the TIP emitter).

A common way would be just a single rectifier diode.

That could be the simplest way for me, but the battery recharger uses the voltage level from the battery to control the current to supply. (It's a tree state recharger for 12V baterries), so the drop at the diode is not wellcome.

The TIP31 is turned on by a correct connection of the battery (+Vbat at the R4 and -Vbat at the TIP emitter).

I dont see it. For that to happen, as I said above, the emitter and collector would have to be reversed... You are saying the right words, but your diagram has the transistor backwards...

Last edited:
... so the drop at the diode is not wellcome.

So just set the trip points for the controller higher by Vf of the diode. Use a Schottky.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back