Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

power supplies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeanHatch

I need a power supply which converts mains ac to a high frequency (about 20khz) square wave. At first I did a normal linear power supply: xformer--->rectifier--->limiter then I used this as Vcc for a 555 timer. Done deal.

Now I'm reading about switching power supplies. They have some nice qualities, but It seems like it'd go something like this: rectifier--->inverter--->isolation xformer.

The thing is, wouldn't the inverter require a 555 timer, or something similar anyway? Is it really worth switching power supplies just for a smaller xformer?

In general, the industry has moved to switched mode power supplies for at least two reasons - and the bottom line is probably a cost advantage. The two reasons I can think of - size of the transformer and efficiency. One might think of efficiency as being less important if you are plugged into a wall but less efficiency means more heat - more heat means more need to manage that heat in a system or product.

If you are making your own power supply then the cost/benefit analysis is likely to be unique to your situation. For the do-it-yourselfer it's hard to beat the simplicity of a transformer, rectifier, capacitor and 3 terminal regulator. Plenty to learn by this approach and lots more to construct a switched mode supply. National Semiconductor has a nice website and design tools - never actually built one but you might give that a look.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back