Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Potters wheel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

I'm looking for some advice before I start my next project, my wife has requested that I make her a potters wheel. My current thinking is to design it around a car wheel hub bearing assembly, with a belt drive to a motor of some sort. I'm reasonably happy with the mechanical side of things, pottery wheel kit but am not sure what sort of motor to use or how best to control it. Her research suggests that a 1HP motor is what she's after.

Any advice would be gratefully received, particularly around what sort of motor/controller I should go with.

EDIT: variable speed control is required apparently

Last edited:
Just had a look and a typical example is this. It uses a direct drive brushless DC motor and has a speed range from 0 to 250 RPM. It is a 300W motor so much less than your 1HP.

To use direct drive requires the motor to have good bearings. A quick google finds this.

Sounds like an interesting project. Note needs to be reversible if to be used by a left hander.

Mike.

One of the best solutions is a Treadmill DC motor and control board.
The best is the MC2100 off a Nordic Track etc,
There is at least one a week here for free PU , not working.
Second choice is the MC-60 boardsbut not quite as smooth, you may want to retain the flywheel if using a T.M. DC motor.
Most T.M.s are 2HP min. so no chance of over loading!

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back