Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Potential Job Call-Back Time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhillDubya

How long would you give an employer to call you back for a job? Especially one that you were given a strong impression from them, that you had a decent chance?

Two weeks before I sent them a nice reminder. Sometimes places just get straight up busy, and hiring a new employee stuff takes a back seat.

Last edited:
Two weeks before I sent them a nice reminder. Sometimes places just get straight up busy, and hiring a new employee stuff takes a back seat.

Two weeks? Wow, maybe I am just getting edgy. Lol Its been three days. The thing is though, I was told they would call around Monday. Plus the interview went really well...

Maybe they forgot? Lost my resume/number?

I just didn't want to be pushy....

Last edited:
After 1-2 weeks if no response, send them a note thanking them for the interview and for their time and that you are looking forward to hearing back from them. 3 days is way too soon.

If you asked for a specific salary they might be hoping you'll lower your requested amount without prompting from them.
They might let you stew a few days.

I would not work for someone who pulls this stuff, if you find out that they are.

Last edited:
I went for an interview last April 2nd (2008) and was told that I'd hear within a week.
The interview went well. I'm still waiting...............

Umm, I'd call them =)

Kind of depends on the company, and how many positions they are trying to fill. Personally, I don't wait, just keep looking. Never been real picky about jobs, just take what I can get. Any paycheck, is better than looking for a job, and can still keep looking if it turns out to be a bad job. I give them a week, if I really like the place, Id go back and ask if they are still hiring. Sometimes the job you wanted gets filled by somebody's brother-in-law, but they have other positions available.

I once got a call back 2 years after my interview. I asked them if they were kidding.

Well, I called. I figured it was worth a try, and what harm could it do...

They said the reason for the delay was they were actually considering placing me in another division.

Hopefully I didn't come across as rude, or pushy.:eek:

I should be getting a call back later, with the ultimate answer.

Thanks all for the replies.:)

I once got a call back 2 years after my interview. I asked them if they were kidding.
They are checking if you are desperate. One company called me back after 6 months. Desperate people make good employees.

I had a company I interviewed with that said I had the job but due to hiring formalities they had to finish out the rest of the follow up interviews. Which would take about a week or better.
Two months later I got offered the job. After they tried to get every other person they interviewed to work for crap pay. I was at the top of the list so they figured I would cost the most. And thusly was called back last.:(

A friend of mine had a neighbor that worked for that company and he filled me in on their start with the cheapest and least qualified and work up approach they used.;)

When I went back for the finalization interview I already knew what went on and told them my starting pay will need to be much higher than what was discussed at the last interview.
After all it had been two months and I was making better pay by myself then anyway.:)

The guy behind me qualifications wise got re offered the job. Then quit because of bad pay and office BS, then the third guy got it. :D

He dont know the difference between a water pump and hydraulic pump but he does know how to take company BS at a very low pay while wrecking company equipment and customers equipment all while turning out very poor workmanship!:eek: :D
(He fit in perfectly with the rest of the company.);):eek:

I've been on both sides of applying and hiring process. There is no set time rule as there are too many variables. Is it a large company, if so expect a longer time for them to work their hiring process (hiring committee!) Are they trying to fill one or many openings for the job(s), if many, they have to rank the candidates and make offers and wait for acceptance or rejections to move on down their list. I've dealt with mostly large companies and can tell you they are all over the map as far as how they hire people. And yes I too got a job offer six months after having interviewed with one company (Xerox), and laughed also as I was not out of work at the time just testing the job market out.

My easiest job was obtained by using a 'head hunter' in the 70s, they prescreened both companies and candidates and that tended to take a lot of the unknowns out of the process for both sides.

Lefty

I'm in the same boat at this moment in time. Also went for the interview and it went very well, but now the company needs to first be awarded the contract before employing Process Control and Instrumentation Engineers.

“Hurry up and wait”

I'm in the same boat at this moment in time. Also went for the interview and it went very well, but now the company needs to first be awarded the contract before employing Process Control and Instrumentation Engineers.

“Hurry up and wait”
They did to me and "stole" my resume. When the contract came in they didn't hire me, even though my resume was on the proposal.

I had a job interview once that lasted nearly a month.

We ended up going to this company twice a week for a couple of hours at a time for multiple tests, exams and other things. I started the interview in a room of about 80 other people and each time I was asked back there were half the people that were there before.

We were never told when the interviews were going to finish but I was in the last 5. About a week after the last "test", the final five all got phone calls from the company to say that they had reconsidered the position(s) available and decided not to take anybody else on.

That was probably the biggest waste of time I've ever spent.

Nahh, I think you misunderstood picbits. Just because the people werent' there doesn't mean they were out of consideration. They probably filled the positions with people that failed out a tier or two before you.

They did to me and "stole" my resume. When the contract came in they didn't hire me, even though my resume was on the proposal.

I have known of several companies that do that just to get high paying specialty contracts despite not having the qualified people to actually get said contracts.
They put in bids for a contract and then to meet the requirements they do a fake hiring run in order to have a list of actual people on call so that when the place that has the specialty contract job calls them they will say, yes I have been hired for that job and I am qualified for the particular requirement of that contract.

Once the contract has been awarded the in house peon labor does the actual work with untrained and unqualified people and the actual qualified workers never actually get hired.:mad:
Hugh profits for the company when they dont actually have to pay out for the qualified staff! :eek:
The actual qualified people just get left hanging for the duration of the contract so when every the contact holder goes looking for the qualified people the company just says the last guy quit but heres his replacement just call him. :eek:

That was probably the biggest waste of time I've ever spent.
Their investment was minimal but since you invested so much time you might be more inclined to take an offer, if they make one. It's like a job fair.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back