Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Time zones?

Pommie

Most Helpful Member
I live in Australia so the time here is nearly 10 pm. So around midday in Blighty and ~7am in New York? I notice that it's very quiet when I get up in the morning, I assume because most are sleeping. Do other timezones have "quiet times"?

BTW, did I get the time right in NY?

Mike.

I live in GMT+6 timezone. Usually in urban areas 12 AM to 6 AM is quiet. In village areas, the quiet time begins as early as 8 PM. NY is GMT-5. And Australia is GMT+1. To get out of such confusion, you can make an Internet clock like this:

By integrating NIST server with ESP8266, you can see time of different countries. I did a similar project. Posting the pics.

Attachments

• dhaka.JPG
    dhaka.JPG
    29.3 KB · Views: 62
  • bostontime.JPG
    bostontime.JPG
    13.1 KB · Views: 56
NYC is 5 hours behind UTC (Universal Coordinated Time) in the winter months November to March, and it is 4 hours behind UTC in the summer months, roughly April to October, when it becomes Eastern Daylight Time.

I live in Australia so the time here is nearly 10 pm. So around midday in Blighty and ~7am in New York? I notice that it's very quiet when I get up in the morning, I assume because most are sleeping. Do other timezones have "quiet times"?

Mike.
If the ETO site were as busy as some other forums, it would be hopping during all daylight hours here in New York. Early morning we'd have the Brit's lat morning to lunch time making comments - and our evenings, when you're just getting up, we have the aussies asking if this is a dead time. And, we'd have Americans making posts all day long.

So, are we witnessing a slow painful drawn-out death rattle?

Mike.
Sleep is highly over-rated for some.

I don't think so. The decline in daily messages was apparent last summer.
Maybe because new users get this kind of welcome and encouragement from admins...

IMHO, the admins are fairly low key. It seems rather restrained these days compared to a decade ago or so.

Given this board has been up for 20+ years (2003-2023) and there are approximately 1.11E6 messages, the long-term average is about 152 messages per day. I think we are well below that level.

Given this board has been up for 20+ years (2003-2023) and there are approximately 1.11E6 messages, the long-term average is about 152 messages per day. I think we are well below that level.
Of those 1.1M, about 25% came from the top 20 posters. Less than half of those posters are regularly active (or alive?).

JimB does at least 10% of the daily messages in an hr.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back