Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Posting images

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThermalRunaway

Hi all,

Is it possible to post a picture within the content of the post itself if the file is stored locally on your machine? If I click the "insert picture" button I get an option to add a URL, but what if the file you want to post is not on the web and you only have it locally? Can you only add as an attachment in that case?

Thanks guys

Brian

ThermalRunaway said:
Hi all,

Is it possible to post a picture within the content of the post itself if the file is stored locally on your machine? If I click the "insert picture" button I get an option to add a URL, but what if the file you want to post is not on the web and you only have it locally? Can you only add as an attachment in that case?

You can't add a picture (or anything else) using a local address on your own computer, because anyone else trying to view it will look for the file on their own computer. You need to either upload it to a server, or (probably better) store it here as an attachment.

Nigel Goodwin said:
You can't add a picture (or anything else) using a local address on your own computer, because anyone else trying to view it will look for the file on their own computer. You need to either upload it to a server, or (probably better) store it here as an attachment.

I understand that you would not be able to link to a file stored locally on your machine, that would be silly, but I thought there might be a way to upload to electro-tech and then include it within the post. But you're saying you can't do that, which is fine - I'll continue using the attachments then.

Brian

ThermalRunaway said:
I understand that you would not be able to link to a file stored locally on your machine, that would be silly, but I thought there might be a way to upload to electro-tech and then include it within the post. But you're saying you can't do that, which is fine - I'll continue using the attachments then.
You can upload the file once and use its URL @ electro-tech-online in other posts that require the same image, though.

Do you remember this? :)

brian-png.13019

eng1, ahhhh! Yes I do remember that hehe.

Well, if you're able to do that wouldn't it be much nicer if you were able to click the "insert image" button and then browse to a picture on your own machine? It could then be uploaded to Electro-Tech and simply inserted into your post. The attachment option could still be kept for non-picture files of course.

Brian

eng1,
I do that all the time, for the benifit of the other people here I'll explain how.

Click on "User CP" at the top left hand corner of the screen and select attachments from the bottome left hand corner of the screen.

You'll see a list of attachments pop up, click on the the attachment you want to insert and copy the url from you browser's address bar.

You can now insert the picture in your post by using the icon.

Last edited:
audioguru said:
I can't find the icon with two mountains and the moon over them.

In your control panel, choose "Edit Options". Then, in the "Miscellaneus Options" box select the standard interface.

There is a way to display attachments.

You have to edit your post after you post it and insert the attached picture but delete everyting after .png of .gif etc.

**broken link removed**

Mike.

Last edited:
Thought I'd try it without the edit. Edit, I messed it up!!

**broken link removed**

Mike.

Last edited:
hi, retry

**broken link removed**
Dummy run.

**broken link removed**

Put the link in using hero's method.

Last edited:
Pommie said:
Eric,
You left the bit after jpg. The bit starting ?d=1180

Mike.

Mike,
I'm having a bad hair day!, can you run it past me again, sorry to be a pain.
Tried the EDIT and it just wouldn't react as I expected?

Eric

Eric, I use the img tags. Get the URL of an image posted somewhere. For example, I posted this in the general electronics forum yesterday, but it could have been posted by others as well: h**p://www.electro-tech-online.com/attachments/brian-png.13019/
I've already removed the '?' and what follows, as Mike said.
Insert the URL between the img and /img tags.

Pommie said:
There is a way to display attachments.

You have to edit your post after you post it and insert the attached picture but delete everyting after .png of .gif etc.

**broken link removed**

Mike.

Dang, well there you go!

No need for people to eat into my bandwidth now, its all going to be hosted by electrotech from now on!!

hi eng1
Retry.

**broken link removed**

I misunderstood Mike, I thought he had found a way to post from his PC, without first posting to his 'REPLY' and using that URL.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back