Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Anybody feel like posting and talking to me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tvtech

Most Helpful Member
Just thought I should start a little thread.

Maybe like what's on your mind and how was your day and so on.

Regards,
tvtech

I'd consider that basic chat. Drop in to the chat room, pull up a chair and sit a spell.

Hope to see you there.

The chat room leaves me a bit cold as well.
JimB

What's on my mind? Arduinos really p*** me off, that's what's on my mind! :D:p

What's up, tvtech?

Been making great progress on my Tesla coil, but the most basic interrupter code I wrote for my Arduino doesn't work because of the inaccuracy of the built-in Arduino functions (delays, digitalWrite, etc). My only choice is to tackle the Atmega328 with true C code, but I run into some issues with the output waveforms due to internal capacitance. Granted I'll be cleaning up the signal with a couple Schmitt-trigger inverters, so it may work, but it's become such a pain. May as well just use a 555 timer :p

That's pretty much what's been taking up all my time lately. I have a few days left before I start back at my software development position, so I'm using that time to work on my DRSSTC. Hoping to have first light in a couple of weeks, but that's assuming everything goes well without a hitch.

Regards,
Matt

I have been doing a little PICing myself. (That sounds a bit perverted!)
Over the past few months I have been developing a battery charger for some rather expensive "F" size NiMH batteries which I have.
The PIC reads the battery voltage and cuts the charge rate when the voltage starts to drop at the point where the charge is complete.
I have it working now and am just sorting out the build of the working unit.

I know nothing about Arduinos.

JimB

UP = a relative direction, usually THAT way (pointing to the sky)

Why would an Arduino piss you off? OK, me first: The interrupt handler is unfriendly/

My Arduino Uno hasn't irked me yet.

Probably because I'm such a noob on it that I haven't hit a snag. Mostly small stuff I've done: Freq generator, freq counter, SD read/write, LCD readout stuff for the previous efforts.

Mostly stuff that there's a ton of libraries and sample code for out there. All problems have been my lousy syntax errors...

Why would an Arduino piss you off? OK, me first: The interrupt handler is unfriendly/

Yep, that's one of the many issues I have. Also, as previously mentioned, a basic pin turn-on (digitalWrite()) takes several microseconds. In order to get accurate timing, you have to control the pins manually, which is also a pain and the output isn't very clean. The delays are very inaccurate (which is why I moved to timers in the first place), but the timers are very difficult to use. The IDE is over-simplified and doesn't even have a debugger, which is a HUGE pain. For some reason as I'm adjusting the frequency using a potentiometer and the ADC, it goes about a quarter of the way up the range, then it does something wacky with a mix of horrible-sounding tones, then it starts back at the beginning of the range as I continue to turn up the pot.

The whole platform is just very crappy and impossible to use for anything that requires even the slightest bit of precision. I've had about enough of it.

*end rant*

You know Matt, many people say the Internet is a strange place.

Let me tell you Buddy and others willing to listen: it is actually a cool place to be.....sure there are people that try their luck....and troll and all.
In the case of ETO and people that know each other here....it's like a little World of it's own.

For example, I visit other Forums out there. Sure I catch up on latest info/news or whatever....I always return here though after my travels... Sure I can post the latest News updates. But I ALWAYS end up back here at ETO. Crazy hey.

Maybe to Spar a little with Nigel, maybe to chat to you, maybe a little TV rant on my side...thing is I know that ETO is always there for me as a safe place to come back to. Like home??

How flat out cool is that? I mean I have been here since around 2010...seen ALL the ups and downs and all that happened, I was in the middle of some of it.

And still I absolutely love ETO........now I am going to ramble again briefly....something about ETO....I cannot put my finger on it.

Maybe, just maybe it has to do with Member tolerance and people respecting each other :cool:

I mean for example I (speaking for myself) will not try and be clever and jump into a thread about programming...
Or I will not suddenly become a Audio expert and argue with AG...

You see where I am coming from Buddy....by the same kind of thinking....Nigel and I spar....love it. It's like a thing where he can teach me stuff and we are in the same game...he has already been where I am heading in a way...

I am sure he often taps his finger and thinks about my ways and stuff and remembers what he went through.

You see how cool this is.....no PM's and stuff.....out in the open where it belongs. For the whole World to see and learn.

You Guys are the best,
tvtech

I have been doing a little PICing myself. (That sounds a bit perverted!)
Over the past few months I have been developing a battery charger for some rather expensive "F" size NiMH batteries which I have.
The PIC reads the battery voltage and cuts the charge rate when the voltage starts to drop at the point where the charge is complete.
I have it working now and am just sorting out the build of the working unit.

I know nothing about Arduinos.

JimB
I need to make a NiMH charger from an NiCAD RC charger.... The timings on the charger are for a 1400mA NiCAD pack
I need to charge a 2400mA NiMH pack.... Anyone know some good literature for calculating the charge time? I have no temp facility...

Other that that... I'm off to Paris.. So I won't be here for a few days....

À bientôt

Ian
I was hoping for a simple timing solution for my NiMH charger, but the more I read about charging these types the more it seemed that the best way to determine charge completion was to measure the battery voltage.

As I wanted to ensure the best service life for my expensive battery folly, I opted for a voltage measuring solution.

Enjoy Paris, it is quite a nice place.
Shame about the airport (CDG), one of the hell holes of the air travellers world.

JimB

Famous quotes; **broken link removed**

Bad one. I am not like that....

Never been a person who can predict things accurately. Or has even ever been close to a CEO...
I am the the CEO of my life :)

Just thought I should say that. We ALL have a CEO inside us waiting to get out and lead.....

With the right people at your side...you will not fail...

Stay well Guys,
tvtech

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back