Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Cross-posting to multiple forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where did I say that you disapproved?
On post #36 of this thread you said, " You are saying that I cannot ask a question on here,....."
Again, you are saying that I cannot post a question on here, then go to another forum and post the same question.
Now you are saying the same thing again.
I may do it two minutes after posting here, two hours later, ten hours later, but what does it matter?
Yes, as stated in the link, you should wait until the discussion ends before going to the next forum.
You helped 'kingofjong' how much in both of those threads?
By discussing proper posting protocols.
If a member is creating a new thread which you find interesting enough to help out with, you could always ask whether they already have the question posted on another forum, to save wasting your time.
I should not have to do that.

Ratch

From my perspective, both forums could do with a large amount of help regarding the boosting of traffic, but the interaction that 'kingofjong' has just experienced, on both forums, is unlikely to foster much confidence in a new member, that he is not going to get rained down upon at every opportunity.
How many first time posters are getting chased away to other forums, due to the negative interactions of some long-serving members?

As someone who frequents a number of forums, (where many member names are familiar) my take on members posting the same question on different forums, at the same time, goes something like this:
If I can help out the member, I will try to do so as long as my skill level allows. (FWIW Ratchit, I wish I was at your skill level)
If the same question is seen on another forum, any answers can be compared to those of my own and used as a personal gauge for where my own knowledge needs improvement, or not. Most often for me, improvement is required in copious amounts.

My 0.02

EDIT: I just took the opportunity to look at the terms on both ETO and EP, regarding the discouragement of a member creating concurrent, identical threads on multiple forums. There is no mention in the terms for either ETO, or EP.

Last edited:
From my perspective, both forums could do with a large amount of help regarding the boosting of traffic, but the interaction that 'kingofjong' has just experienced, on both forums, is unlikely to foster much confidence in a new member, that he is not going to get rained down upon at every opportunity.
How many first time posters are getting chased away to other forums, due to the negative interactions of some long-serving members?

As someone who frequents a number of forums, (where many member names are familiar) my take on members posting the same question on different forums, at the same time, goes something like this:
If I can help out the member, I will try to do so as long as my skill level allows. (FWIW Ratchit, I wish I was at your skill level)
If the same question is seen on another forum, any answers can be compared to those of my own and used as a personal gauge for where my own knowledge needs improvement, or not. Most often for me, improvement is required in copious amounts.

My 0.02

EDIT: I just took the opportunity to look at the terms on both ETO and EP, regarding the discouragement of a member creating concurrent, identical threads on multiple forums. There is no mention in the terms for either ETO, or EP.

Not every breach of etiquette is written down as a rule.

As long as it is made clear to the OP how and why s/he screwed up, there should be no problem. The OP can chose which forum s/he wants and ask away to their heart's content. This and other forums cannot hope to catch and keep every OP that lands on their site. Some just go away, never to be heard from again without even a thank you.

Ratch

Everyone does not read from the same sheet regarding etiquette either. What's culturally acceptable in one place may not be acceptable somewhere else and the internet is no different. If there are firm guidelines set out, which have to be agreed upon for entry to a particular site or forum, then that's fine - those are the terms you agreed to, but anything else is subjective and can change on a whim, or the particular mood of a member on any given day.

If a member 'screwed up' based solely on another's personal opinion, did they actually 'screw up', or did they just fail to conform to that person's wants/desires?

I don't feel that anyone has the right to make someone else choose a side in a debate. By all means, put forth reasons why a certain stance is taken during the discussion, then leave it at that. If that person chooses an option which does not sit well with you, you can exercise your right to have no further contact with them, by not engaging any further.

As far as retaining OP's goes, any site or forum would like to have a 100% capture rate, IMO. As you say though, some do just go away without a thank you, and although it's nice to receive one, is it expected?

I find it somewhat ironic that the person upset with someone posting the same question on multiple forums doesn't see anything wrong in posting multiple telling offs on the same forums. Should this be allowed?

Mike.

Everyone does not read from the same sheet regarding etiquette either. What's culturally acceptable in one place may not be acceptable somewhere else and the internet is no different. If there are firm guidelines set out, which have to be agreed upon for entry to a particular site or forum, then that's fine - those are the terms you agreed to, but anything else is subjective and can change on a whim, or the particular mood of a member on any given day.

If a member 'screwed up' based solely on another's personal opinion, did they actually 'screw up', or did they just fail to conform to that person's wants/desires?
There is nothing wrong with someone's personal opinion or desire if it is explained. All the listed laws we have were written based on a personal opinion of a group (legislature or committee). I would call multiple simultaneous postings a practice, not a cultural actuality.
I don't feel that anyone has the right to make someone else choose a side in a debate.
The submission of a question is not a debate. How they should do it is debatable. Entering a debate means choosing a side. No one is forcing anyone to debate.
By all means, put forth reasons why a certain stance is taken during the discussion, then leave it at that. If that person chooses an option which does not sit well with you, you can exercise your right to have no further contact with them, by not engaging any further.
Isn't that what I said I will do?
As far as retaining OP's goes, any site or forum would like to have a 100% capture rate, IMO. As you say though, some do just go away without a thank you, and although it's nice to receive one, is it expected?
If I put in a lot of work to answer the question, I do expect a thank you. It is another point of etiquette that is not written down.

Ratch

I find it somewhat ironic that the person upset with someone posting the same question on multiple forums doesn't see anything wrong in posting multiple telling offs on the same forums. Should this be allowed?

Mike.
What is ironic about it? There is a difference between giving a heads up warning to folks that their effort might be duplicated and asking a question which requires some effort on the responder.

Ratch

It is another point of etiquette that is not written down.
Etiquette chosen by you and a few other people based on your and their own opinions. That does not mean everyone else is required to adhere to it. You have no authority to say that it is a rule just because you don't like it when someone does something different. People are not obligated to submit to your whims just because you feel it's wrong. This "etiquette" you're referring to is not some absolute all-encompassing rule of fora as you seem to think it is. It is solely based on a few peoples' personal opinions, and that's not enough to warrant this attitude of yours.

What is ironic about it? There is a difference between giving a heads up warning to folks that their effort might be duplicated and asking a question which requires some effort on the responder.

Ratch
The don't want to waist your time by answering on multiple forums so instead you answer on multiple forums!!

Mike.

Etiquette chosen by you and a few other people based on your and their own opinions. That does not mean everyone else is required to adhere to it. You have no authority to say that it is a rule just because you don't like it when someone does something different. People are not obligated to submit to your whims just because you feel it's wrong. This "etiquette" you're referring to is not some absolute all-encompassing rule of fora as you seem to think it is. It is solely based on a few peoples' personal opinions, and that's not enough to warrant this attitude of yours.

Ever hear of Emily Post? https://www.marthastewart.com/1512296/you-can-thank-emily-post-for-these-rules-of-etiquette
She wrote a book on rules of etiquette. Folks were not obligated or required to adhere to it, and she had no authority to what she felt was wrong. Nevertheless, she was respected and her rules were followed because they were standardized and made sense. By the same token, most folks would agree that wasting other people's time is not proper etiquette. You can denigrate that proposition all you want, but I think I have the right slant on the matter.;

Ratch

The don't want to waist your time by answering on multiple forums so instead you answer on multiple forums!!

Mike.

Putting out a quick, simple warning is not a very large waste of time compared to what others might submit with a long duplicate answer.

Ratch

Ever hear of Emily Post? https://www.marthastewart.com/1512296/you-can-thank-emily-post-for-these-rules-of-etiquette
She wrote a book on rules of etiquette. Folks were not obligated or required to adhere to it, and she had no authority to what she felt was wrong. Nevertheless, she was respected and her rules were followed because they were standardized and made sense. By the same token, most folks would agree that wasting other people's time is not proper etiquette. You can denigrate that proposition all you want, but I think I have the right slant on the matter.;

Ratch
Please, do not take any part in any thread started by MrDEB.

Mike.

Ratch
No, I've never heard of Emily Post. And I'm sure 95% of other people haven't either. That being said, I'm willing to bet the rules "she" wrote are not hers, but are the types of rules most people are taught by their parents as they grow up. People don't follow them because they're "her" opinion. But that's beside the point.

"Wasting time" is what is subjective here. You consider it a waste of time to respond to a question that others may already be responding to. That's your prerogative. I, on the other hand, would not consider my post a waste of time if someone on another forum already posted the same thing. Why? Because now the OP has the same information from two sources, indicating that it's probably something they can trust. Better even if they get three, four, or more similar answers. That's what I was saying way back at the beginning - even a duplicated post has significant value.

No, I've never heard of Emily Post. And I'm sure 95% of other people haven't either. That being said, I'm willing to bet the rules "she" wrote are not hers, but are the types of rules most people are taught by their parents as they grow up. People don't follow them because they're "her" opinion. But that's beside the point.

"Wasting time" is what is subjective here. You consider it a waste of time to respond to a question that others may already be responding to. That's your prerogative. I, on the other hand, would not consider my post a waste of time if someone on another forum already posted the same thing. Why? Because now the OP has the same information from two sources, indicating that it's probably something they can trust. Better even if they get three, four, or more similar answers. That's what I was saying way back at the beginning - even a duplicated post has significant value.
I disagree. As I said earlier, an answer that makes sense is better than a consensus of opinion. And, if the post is on only one forum, then a person with the same agreement could simply say, "I agree with XXX at post #yyy", instead of doing the duplicate work.

Ratch

I disagree. As I said earlier, an answer that makes sense is better than a consensus of opinion. And, if the post is on only one forum, then a person with the same agreement could simply say, "I agree with XXX at post #yyy", instead of doing the duplicate work.
But in some cases the OP does not know enough about the subject to know if an answer makes sense. That's often the reason why they're posting in the first place. In cases like that, you need multiple responses, regardless of where they come from, in order to develop a feeling for what makes sense.

But in some cases the OP does not know enough about the subject to know if an answer makes sense. That's often the reason why they're posting in the first place. In cases like that, you need multiple responses, regardless of where they come from, in order to develop a feeling for what makes sense.
He can still evaluate the method and path of the solution. Most likely the same solution will come from different responders. But, there is a difference in workload between just agreeing with another responder and writing up the solution for the OP to read. On a single forum, only one person has to write up the solution.

Ratch

I may agree that it's ok to ask the same question in multiple forums. There are always different ways to solve problems, and one solution may make sense when others don't.

The problem with the poster I mentioned before is that there there are never any short answers. It's never "make a suggestion and let him go" - every question requires substantial explanation and hand holding at every step. He never settles on one approach, so you have people spending hours advising him to follow one approach well unbeknownst to you, other approaches are being suggested elsewhere.

So, I'm of mixed feelings. Asking for ideas in multiple forums is a good way to see different approaches. Repeatedly posting in multiple forums that will result in dozens of pages of forum posts shows a big disregard of peoples' time.

And by the way, I dare say a large percentage of members here will recognize the name Emily Post!

I know who Emily Post was. I also know when my good will is being abused whether a little or a lot. I have on a few occasions posted a substantive answer to a question on one forum then found the same question on another. I have then posted words to the effect "I answered your question over on forum X" and suggested that they at least notify each forum when they've had their question sufficiently answered so helpers would not waste effort unnecessarily. Other than asking them to be transparent and considerate of the effort expended on their behalf, I doubt that any kind of enforced protocol would be workable.

I think self defense is probably the best we can realistically do. Just today I was informed by a thread starter that my opinion on his project was not the one he wanted nor formatted in the way he wanted. I am happy to not waste additional effort on his thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back