Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

post signatures

Status
Not open for further replies.

ericgibbs

Most Helpful Member
hi,
IMO the length of some members 'signatures' are excessive.

To read and make sense of some threads means scrolling up and down screens many times in order to find a snippet of technical information.

Do any other members feel that there should be a signature limit of say 4 or 5 lines.?

EDIT: a typical example is this thread.
https://www.electro-tech-online.com/threads/basic-problem-with-transistors.95681/

Last edited:
There is an option in VBulletin to only show the persons signature on the first post they make in a thread and ignore it in subsequent posts.

There is also the feature to limit it to say 3 lines which I have found on other forums is more than adequate to get a short message across and promote your website.

You want to try some of the car forums I use where the signatures are literally half the page with images - its absolutely hideous.

I agree. .

In 'User CP', you have the options to view signatures and avatars, which chose not to years ago for this same reason, and also I was on dial-up, so sometimes took for ever to load, for what little it was worth. Yes, sometimes its a pain to find the websites referred to, when they turned out to be in the signature.

Well Hero with your sig being 13 lines long who really wants to know what other forums you visit. I agree 3 lines as the max with only simple quotes allowed. If someone wants see ones home or web page they can always view the users profile.
The quote of no PM's is a good one for members I agree but sigs over 3 lines long are over the top.

Just my thoughts

Regards Bryan

Well Hero with your sig being 13 lines long who really wants to know what other forums you visit.
I'll remove it if you don't like it.

Is that better?

The link to Silicon Tronics remains but the site does contain a link to this place so the favour is returned. Also note that it isn't my site but a friends and it doesn't have any advertising.

I think it is your large bold text that utilizes so many lines. For me personally it is not a problem.

Last edited:
My posts now take up as much room as someone with a one line signature so I don't see why anyone would have a problem.

I have to say that the over sized and bold text some people use on the signatures is sort of like text shouting in my opinion.
I dont mind it but there are a few that are definitely running it out a bit far.

Perhaps ET should sell billboard space to them and they can have their signature posted along the highway!;):D

To be fair example about signature space I put mine in whisper mode! :)

Is that better?

Thanks! I also considered some of the sigs as too long, but didn't feel it was my place to complain. Now that the subject is broached and considered, the pages have a much cleaner appearance.

You'll always be my >>hero!

Last edited:
Whisper mode needs a magnified ear to see :D

Get a pair of 30" HD LCD monitors like I have! The wisper text is still about a 1/4 inch tall to me! :):p

hi,
Nice to see I'm not a majority of one.:)

Its a pity Giftiger Wunsch has'nt got the hint.:rolleyes:

Send him a PM. Mention some bad rep point possibilities too.

I have to say that the over sized and bold text some people use on the signatures is sort of like text shouting in my opinion.
I still get the odd stupid PM from nubies so I've considered making the text larger, perhaps all capitals but decided against it.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back