Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

plain stupid wireless transmission

Status
Not open for further replies.

barn324

Greetings,

I'm working on camera traps, trying to make pictures of animals in the wild with IR detectors linked to cameras. I am currently working on a double camera project, so as to take two pictures of the same animal, one from each side. When the first camera's detector detects the animal, it takes the picture and sends a signal to the second camera for it to trigger. Now I'd like to know what is the most simple and cheap way of transmitting this little pulse from camera one to camera two. RF transmitters? Any help greatly appreciated!
Cheers
Barn

Don't cameras typically use light activated SCRs so that a flash will trigger the camera? Couldn't the flash from the first camera trigger the second?

well, i think that the cameras are colse, since they both take pictures of the same animal. if the cameras are fix, you can try a simple wire solution. but if you moove the cameras often , then you need another method. wireless looks like the thing. you might want to use some simple radio emitter and receiver. or, if you have the camera triggered by an IR sensor, can you put one sensor on each camera?

Take the first picture of the animal as you normally do now except use a flash unit - even in the daylight. On the second camera attach a "slave flash" unit as your trigger signal - it is wireless and less than $20. Since you asked for a device that "sends a signal to the second camera for it to trigger," I assume you have the rest worked out once you have the trigger signal.

A cheap wireless module available at countless places will work also, but you will need to get a nice 3.3v or 5v supply for them and be able to use the pulse to trigger the shot from the second camera.

Steve

Some guy should be around, promoting his company, which I believe has these modules.

One sensor on each camera is not an option. I cannot trigger the camera with a flash as this would take the two pictures in synch and I'd get an ugly picture because of the two facing flashes. That's why i need a small delay. The cameras will always be moved around, so it has to be wireless. I was thinking of a basic LC in parallel, one on emitter, one on reciever, would that work?

Generally, an LC tank circuit will drift and not be reliable for your application. You would need to provide feedback for oscillation, an amplifier, impedance matching circuit, and an antenna.. Then, on the reciever, you would need a low noise amplifier, bandpass filter, and a detector circuit.

I would go ahead and purchase an inexpensive RF module and do a little perfboard work to get it all fairly neat.

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back