Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Pinewood derby car mph calculation device

Status
Not open for further replies.

change1

I want to build a pinewood derby calculation device to measure how fast the car is going? I want to start the clock when the car takes off, and stop the clock when the car reaches the end, and do the d/t = speed. What electronic circuit can I use to do this? 555 timer? 8 bit micro? any help would be appreciated.

...What electronic circuit can I use to do this? 555 timer? 8 bit micro? any help would be appreciated.

Since you want to measure speed, you can do it indirectly by measuring the time between two sensors. Unfortunately, it takes a division to convert the time of flight to speed. A micro with an timer/counter would do this, but you will have to code a division.

For an application like this I would be inclined to use an old DOS-only laptop I bought at a garage sale for $2. By hooking the sensors to two pins on the parallel port, I would code a speed display using QuickBasic.

I'm building a 4-track optical system that determines first, second, third and fourth place. Track timers are next. I don't see the need for the arbitrary "mph" measurements when you have the actual track time.

Dean

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back