Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Pickit 3 debugging animation speed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HellTriX

I am in the final stages of debugging my Pic18F2xJ11 chip and I decided to give the in-circuit debugging a try. It works; however the animation speed when using animate via MPLAB C18 directly with the chip is very slow. For instance a simple while loop for the GO_DONE bit of the ADC converter takes so long I give up waiting. The cpu is not even running at 50% and I am getting around 2 lines of code per second animation speed.

There is no option for animation speed in MPLAB when in this debugging mode in the normal options menu so decided to post here to see if maybe there is something I am missing? The chip is nominally clocked at 4mhz, but I don't think that matters when using the debugger in this way.

Any ideas what I can do to speed up this animation speed?

T

Perhaps you can insert a breakpoint after the GO/DONE bit loop, and run the program to the breakpoint, rather than stepping through every line of code?

Last edited:
animate is slow even on a fast pc, i dont know if this will work because i dont have my pk3 sitting here but try the following, in the debug menu select sim as the debug tool and goto settings. you will see a Animation/realtime updates tab, under that tab is a speed slider for animation speed and real time updates, wack that upto full speed. then under debugger select pk3 as the tool and try the animate button. Ive no idea if it will help the speed as i havnt tried it but it might....... let us know ;) either way animate is very slow so i usealy use the run to cursor option alot instead of animate.
i am sure one the experts will have better info for you tho
regards Jason

Thanks. I will just use a few of my 3 breakpoints. After thinking about it, that is all I really need at this time anyway.
I will also try run to cursor if its available. I debugged the code today without animate. Thanks for all the replys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back