Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

New Life For PICKIT 3 Stand Alone Programmer App?

Status
Not open for further replies.
That PIC18F27Q43 looks like a nice part, with a 12-bit DAC
The DAC is 8-bits on the Q43. It's the ADC that's 12-bits (same as the K42).
The Q43 is similar to the K42, but has "more" peripherals (4 uarts, 3 NCO, 8 CLC, 16-bit PWM).

One nice thing about the Q43 is that the peripheral SFR registers are located at the bottom of memory in bank 0. On the K42 they're up at the very top, which puts them out of reach of the MOVFF instruction, and you have to use the new MOVFFL 3-word instruction to get at them (slower, more code).

It also tends to be a tad cheaper (and right now more available).

The DAC is 8-bits on the Q43. It's the ADC that's 12-bits (same as the K42).
The Q43 is similar to the K42, but has "more" peripherals (4 uarts, 3 NCO, 8 CLC, 16-bit PWM).

The bewildering array of new devices and new peripherals is getting crazy :D There are often problems sourcing the devices though, I have to get my 42's from Farnell as RS don't stock them.

One nice thing about the Q43 is that the peripheral SFR registers are located at the bottom of memory in bank 0. On the K42 they're up at the very top, which puts them out of reach of the MOVFF instruction, and you have to use the new MOVFFL 3-word instruction to get at them (slower, more code).

It also tends to be a tad cheaper (and right now more available).

If you're using XC8 then it doesn't really matter, and for most new devices the examples tend to be in C rather than assembler.

If you're using XC8 then it doesn't really matter, and for most new devices the examples tend to be in C rather than assembler.

Well, it does still matter since accessing SFR's on the K42 can result in larger code and be slower.
If it's able to use the bank select register instead then it won't matter much (or if you don't care).

lead time?
Fugget about it. That's a constant game of Whack-A-Mole these days. If you're lucky enough to find ANY chips, buy 'em, cause they likely won't be there tomorrow.

Once they acquired Atmel, or maybe it was a short time before that, the datasheets ballooned in size and dropped the index. Index is different than TOC. With an index you can quickly jump to a topic or register description.

Once they acquired Atmel, or maybe it was a short time before that, the datasheets ballooned in size and dropped the index. Index is different than TOC. With an index you can quickly jump to a topic or register description.
I don't recall ever seeing an index as such in MicroChip datasheets?, nor any particular need for one?.

I like the Microchip datasheets..

If you half know the chip, I use the TOC to go to the "registers" page, then every register is hyperlinked.

I have really got used to these..

BUT!!!!! The pic 32 is an awful mess.. Each internal module is represented by its own datasheet... Nightmare!

Didn't even realise they had dropped the index, I use the bookmarks to get around.

Microchips datasheets are a case of whack-a-mole these days - if you are very, very lucky, you'll find one without any errors in it :banghead:

For a Windows front end you can probably leverage Visual Basic in Microsoft Visual Studio. Total drag & drop GUI design.

I've been able to use a relatively inexpensive Arduino Nano clone to read/write/program 18FxxQ40, 18FxxQ41, and 18FxxQ43 devices in LVP (Low Voltage Programming) mode. Fun stuff but I could use a hand writing a Windows "front end" to manage file transfer to/from the Arduino.
For a Windows front end you can probably leverage Visual Basic in Microsoft Visual Studio. Total drag & drop GUI design.
Is this aimed at this thread Jon??? Nowt todo with datasheet issues..
I believe Jon was referring to a portion of my first post (thank you, Jon).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back