Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

New Life For PICKIT 3 Stand Alone Programmer App?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The latest device file available from the PICKitMinus site is 2.63.226.

Looking at the .dat file I don't see anything wrong with the 27Q43... (progmem for the 18F is listed in words, not bytes).

Did it not work?

I found that the device file has the wrong config mask for word #2 (for the 18F26Q43). They have FFBF, but it should be BFFF. This affects the brownout fuses. I tried enabling brownout and it crashed the standalone programmer application. (Unhandled errors...ugh.) The PICKitPlus github seems to have found this out a couple days ago, but I wasn't able to find the latest device file on their github...It wasn't obvious to me anyway. This bug would affect 18F25Q43, 18F26Q43, and 18F27Q43. Just to let you know. Get the newest device file if you can find it; on/after July 14, 2022.

Last edited:
Thanks for that.

The PICKitPlus github seems to have found this out a couple days ago, but I wasn't able to find the latest device file on their github...It wasn't obvious to me anyway.
They stopped distributing the .dat file a number of versions ago... now you get it when you purchase the PicKitPlus software.

I think they did that because PicKitMinus was using their .dat file (and it's free), so whatever mistakes were in the old file are probably in the PK- version too.

Problem being, when I bought the software, the updated DAT files were listed as always being freely available to purchasers

Since that's no longer the case, is there any way to purchase an update/extend the maintenance period, or are you expected to just buy the software again at full price every year to get dat file updates?

I can't remember if it was a discounted price and buy the updated software or something else like a yearly maintenance fee when I originally purchased it.
Went back and checked via the Wayback machine and it's the same as now (really need a new memory module fitted):

We provide one year software support to resolve issues in the software. You can obtain a renewed license in subsequent years by repurchasing a license.
I do note they are still saying that the DAT files are available free from the their Github page according to their FAQ page - could get them in a spot of bother if that is no longer the case.

Not that it really matters, my version currently covers everything I use chip wise and it's not that expensive to buy again if I really, absolutely, positively :eek:needed to use something more modern (although I would be more inclined to give PKminus a go).

although I would be more inclined to give PKminus a go.
I think the problem with PKminus may be that they were getting the device files from PKplus? Somebody will have to add new devices. I don't mind doing it for chips that I use, but I can tell you...it is time-consuming and mind-numbing when new scripts have to be written.

I think the problem with PKminus may be that they were getting the device files from PKplus?
Yup.

but I can tell you...it is time-consuming and mind-numbing when new scripts have to be written.
I can imagine. Plus, then you end up with the same "dat file free-for-all" that the PK2 had when different folks were adding different devices to the same base. You never really knew what files supported what.

I fixed the other chips in that family.
So, in all, the config mask #2 for these:

18F25Q43, 18F45Q43, 18F55Q43
18F26Q43, 18F46Q43, 18F56Q43
18F27Q43, 18F47Q43, 18F47Q43

Regards,
Mike

Attachments

• PK2DeviceFile.zip
    29.7 KB · Views: 231
Mike - K8LH I ended up buying the "expensive PICkit 4". It works beautifully without the issues that the PK3 had. In addition to new device compatibility, it also does AVR ISP as well as JTAG. To top it off, it also features a microSD slot for Programmer-To-Go (load your field updates onto the microSD).

A bit of an embedded Swiss Army knife.

I've tested on PIC and AVR and thus far it has not let me down.

I'm using the 18F__Q84 devices as I wanted the CAN module. I haven't yet messed with the Q4x devices, but I did try out a 18F27K40 before I discovered the Q84 family.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back