Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PIC Programmer issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

umer ahmed

HI I just want to know that to porgrame 16f877a where should i connect rx and tx from max232 ti pic 16f877a,actually there are four pins pgd(40),pdc(39) and tx(25,rx(26).

HI I just want to know that to porgrame 16f877a where should i connect rx and tx from max232 ti pic 16f877a,actually there are four pins pgd(40),pdc(39) and tx(25,rx(26).

You need to provide much more information, for a start PIC's aren't programmed via an RS232 interface. Some PIC's can be programmed with a bootloader, which can then program themselves via RS232, but you need a programmer to load the bootloader first.

PLease see the attached file, i have made this circuit but i am conused that if ic will be programmed through max232 then for what icsp (that connects with pgd and pgc) is used for?

Attachments

• c-programming-course-06-circuit-img1.png
    c-programming-course-06-circuit-img1.png
    36.1 KB · Views: 257
PLease see the attached file, i have made this circuit but i am conused that if ic will be programmed through max232 then for what icsp (that connects with pgd and pgc) is used for?

The ICSP is for programming the chip, if you wanted to you could use that to program a bootloader in the PIC, then you could program it via RS232 afterwards. But as it has an ICSP socket, why not just program it via that?.

I dont have icsp hardware, i thought max232 will serve as ICSP circuit.Can you please provide me with ICSP schematic,I have following points on my board.
1-MCLR
2-Tx(from MAX232)
3-Rx(from MAX232)
4-GND
Is ICSp circuit seperate from that? Actully I dont know that connections for ICSP come from where,and if we have to program IC from ICSP then for what purpose MAX232 is used in that diagram? Please help me out with this.

As I've already explained, you need a programmer - I suggest you look at a PICKit2 or a clone like the Junebug.

A bootloader isn't ICSP as such, and requires the PIC to be preprogrammed before it can work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back