Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PIC 18 series in circuit programmer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wsc

Hey all, newbie to the forum here.

I am working on a product and am looking for some advice. I've used PIC 16 series chips a good deal and an looking to move up to the 18 series, specifically the 18F452 because I believe the 16bit core plus higher speed could be valuable to my product.

What I am after is an in circuit programmer for these chips. I am using a Maxim MAX662 flash voltage generator to program 16F877 and the like. I was hoping it would be easy to migrate this technique to the 18 series. Can anyone offer me some advice? Thanks 8)

wsc said:
Hey all, newbie to the forum here.

I am working on a product and am looking for some advice. I've used PIC 16 series chips a good deal and an looking to move up to the 18 series, specifically the 18F452 because I believe the 16bit core plus higher speed could be valuable to my product.

What I am after is an in circuit programmer for these chips. I am using a Maxim MAX662 flash voltage generator to program 16F877 and the like. I was hoping it would be easy to migrate this technique to the 18 series. Can anyone offer me some advice? Thanks 8)

I've not used the 18 series chips, but no doubt MicroChip have datasheets and application notes which will tell you all you need, check their website!.

Using a MAX662 seems a very difficult way of doing in-circuit programming, a simple serial interface can be used for a bootloader, the 16F877 supports this, and (as far as I know) so do most of the 18 series chips. It also provides you with a serial port, which can be used elsewhere in your application.

In the past I have used PP18
**broken link removed**

Works great, his schaer programer design works great to, just use good transistors.

Have fun
Kent

There are plenty of PIC18 bootloaders. Just do a web search for "PIC18 bootloader"

The PIC18 has a multiplication op that handles 16 bit numbers. I don't believe it can properly be called a 16 bit core, however.

I like the speed & size of the PIC18F 252/452. I do everything in HiTech PIC-C; the expanded command set in the 18 series is supposed to work better with C though I have no way to verify this.

I expect that taking advantage of the expanded command set when programming in assembly will require additional learning time. I believe the PIC16 commands are still all there, though.

Oznog said:
The PIC18 has a multiplication op that handles 16 bit numbers. I don't believe it can properly be called a 16 bit core, however.

What else would you call it?, it has a 16 bit wide program core, all instructions are 16 bits long (all 55 of them). The 16F series are 14 bit core, and have 35 14 bit long instructions.

It's still an 8 bit processor though!, as are the 14 bit and 12 bit cores.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back