Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

dropping voltage with diodes in series

Status
Not open for further replies.
so if u have an activation voltage with a diode at about 2 volts, is this activation voltage taken off my voltage as I pass through the diode?

Id say it is, but in falstad it doesn't put it in the simulation, but I've seen circuits where people drop the volts by passing through diodes.

Thanks for any help on the issue.

Done it many times, if my supply voltage is higher than the needed voltage, the use of series diodes will reduce the voltage by 0.7V each silicon diode added.

+12V-----|>|------|>|-----|>|-------|>|-------+9.2V [0.7Vdrop x 4 Si diodes= 2.8V less]

+5V---------|>|---------|>|---------|>|-------+2.9V [0.7Vdrop x 3 Si diodes=2.1V less]

+2V----------------------|>|-------------------+1.3V [2V minus 0.7V trough 1 Si diode = 0.7V less]

Just make sure to use any needed heat sink and not exceed current ratings of the diodes.

Note that 0.7V is a nominal value at a few mA of current.
It varies with the current in a logarithmic manner.

Below is the simulation for a small diode:

1681490133382.png

The voltage drop of diodes decreases with increasing temperature.

Current flow increases temperature which decreases voltage drop which increases current flow.....

so if u have an activation voltage with a diode at about 2 volts, is this activation voltage taken off my voltage as I pass through the diode?

Id say it is, but in falstad it doesn't put it in the simulation, but I've seen circuits where people drop the volts by passing through diodes.

Thanks for any help on the issue.
You can paste Falstad links after File>export> make shortcut > copy.
All logic IC's are ideal in Falstad's with 0 Ohms out, so you must add R depending on logic family determined often by Vdd max e.g. Diodes also have bulk resistance which depends on size. The default diode can be modified if you know how.

74' logic family
5.5V max (~50 ohms) or 3.6V max (~25 Ohms)

Never heard of it :D

However Google informs it was a very popular American beer, now long defunct.

It also informs me that there's a local micro-brewery in Derby, only about 20 miles from me - never heard of that either, but micro-breweries have become very popular in the last few years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back