Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PCB layout help

Status
Not open for further replies.

dbtoutfit

I have my circuit schematics completed but I need the layout done.

I have a few programs but I am a little behind the understanding of the pcb layout design.

I would like a dxf of the pcb layout. This way I can convert it to gcode so I can mill out the trax with my cnc machine.

I would like the layout to be as small as possible.

So simply put I am asking if any one would help me convert my circuit schematic to pcb layout.

I have the circuit schematic completed in Circuit Maker 2000 file.

Thanks for any help.

Use Eagle to layout the board. (create a version of your schematic in Eagle, then use it to create the PCB layout, ensures that the PCB agrees with the schematic)
Then use PCB-GCode from within Eagle to generate GCODE

The aurthor of PCB-GCode has an active support group and they will help you setup the script to generate GCODE for your CNC.

Google PCB-GCode.

I use the above setup but only to drill the holes. I use toner transfer to etch the traces.

Last edited:
3v0 said:
Use Eagle to layout the board. (create a version of your schematic in Eagle, then use it to create the PCB layout, ensures that the PCB agrees with the schematic)
Then use PCB-GCode from within Eagle to generate GCODE

The aurthor of PCB-GCode has an active support group and they will help you setup the script to generate GCODE for your CNC.

Google PCB-GCode.

I use the above setup but only to drill the holes. I use toner transfer to etch the traces.

Thanks,

Yea, I am in the middle of getting Eagle.
I don’t really need the GCODE so to speak just the DXF, I can convert it from there. Many of the programs I have will convert and save it to dxf.

The problem I have is i have some IC's in my layout and the schematic doesn’t look like the IC. I do not know how to go about making sure the PCB layout insures that each connection or track is going to the correct leg on the IC. Or even if when i try to convert it the program will convert the schematic IC's to PCB IC's.

Needless to say I know about enough to get in trouble and do not know all the terminologies for this and that, so bare with me and my lack of knowledge in the dim areas.

dbtoutfit said:
That's irrelevant.

Just wondering why you're reluctant to post the schematic. Sometimes the folks here can spot something before you make it into a PCB.

I layout all my PCBs using Sprint Layout. Personally I can't stand Eagle but lots of people like it so can't be all bad.

blueroomelectronics said:
Just wondering why you're reluctant to post the schematic. Sometimes the folks here can spot something before you make it into a PCB.

I layout all my PCBs using Sprint Layout. Personally I can't stand Eagle but lots of people like it so can't be all bad.

Sprint easier?

In my opinion yes. The autorouter is very simple (useless) but most inexpensive autorouters are.
The drawing tools are excellent, the libraries are fine (I make my own, easy as pie). Limited to four layers but I only work with two. Try out the demo, I took to it in no time. The test tool is handy too (highlights all the current trace connections in purple)

Good PCB artwork is as much science as an artform.

dbtoutfit said:
Thanks,

Yea, I am in the middle of getting Eagle.
... I do not know how to go about making sure the PCB layout insures that each connection or track is going to the correct leg on the IC. Or even if when i try to convert it the program will convert the schematic IC's to PCB IC's. ....

Not to worry. If you use Eagle and draw the schematic first. Then when you layout the board provides airwires (aka rubber bands) which are thin lines between pads showing where the traces need to go. It forces you to route the board the same as the schematic.

Why generate DXF then generate the GCode from there? With PCB-GCode you generate the GCode directly from the Eagle board layout. The setup program allows you to specify feed rates etc.

Eagle has a load of useful scripts. For example BOM generates a bill of materials list. Center-Drill makes the hole in center of pads smaller to help center drill. There are scripts to renember parts, etc.

The first time I tried Eagle I hated it. After a while I came back to it. Now that I have used it for a while I have come to mostly like it. Esp since I can have CNC drilled holes.

In case I have not been clear. PCB-GCode generates GCODE to route the board and drill it. I prefer to use toner transfer to etch the board after drilling it.

Worth every penny :)

Sounds good.

Well I grabbed Eagle and Sprint.

I should get this one way or the other.

Almost everything i have seen involved Eagle.

Nice how it generates the toolpath (gcode) for you.

Well I guess I better get to installing the programs.

I am sure i could still use some help along the way.

Any one got my back? :)

Thanks all

blueroomelectronics said:

I agree, Sprint Layout rules !! I've tried dozens of other packages but nothing comes close to Sprint Layout. The only other program that even comes near is an old DOS program called Boardmaker, unfortunatley they "upgraded" this to Boardmaker3 some time ago and in the process removed everything that was good about it.

3v0 said:
Does it do schematic capture and then use that to put the rubber bands into the layout for you ?

Does it do ERC checks on the schematic?

Does it have scripting ?

Can it generate a BOM for a project ?

Nope, just a board layout program. But a PCB tweakers delight :)

try KiCAD schematics and layout editor
its free open source with no limitations
works in windows and linux
can generate HPGL code,if your CNC machine can take it or you can convert it to G-code through external programs

the library is limited but enough to get started
many users have converted Eagle and Orcad libraries to KiCAD

Thanks for all the help and info guys.

Eagle is lacking a few of the components I need like 2n7000 mosfet, 4n25 Opto Coupler and others. Also I can not find where to choose just a resistor. All the options I have are complex resistor setups that I see. BTW I have the PRO version of Eagle if that makes any difference in the way I need to go about making changes etc.

So I ask.

A: How can I update/add new devices. Database some where?
(I know nothing about the Bus and Splice info) It would be nice to be able to just download the info into the library files if possible.

B: Where’s the simplistic resistors? :)

Thanks again for any help as always.

The simplistic resistors are in the RCL library. You select your resistor drawing type (EU or US) and package type from the list.

You can re-label another device from the transistor-small-signal library. Select a device with the same pinout and make your schematic pretty using the value command

Awsome!
Right on found it.

You guy kick arse man! :)

I wish all forums were this great!

So for the 2n700 and so on just rename it etc?
It would be nice to have the correct device so i could simulate the circuit.

Thanks again!

I can help layout your board in short order. I usually use Altium DXP, Eagle or any of 5 other programs if special libraries are needed. Used to do it for a living, now just for fun. Send a schematic and Ill give you a timeline of how long to lay it out.

freejac

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back