Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PCB issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ambient

Just wanted to let you all know not to use OfficeMax to get a laser print for your PCB designs. I have been using their laser photocopier to make my PCBs, and I could never get the same results I was seeing online. I finally got a Brother HL-5240, and now my PCBs are picture perfect. The ink actually sticks! Finally!

Also, the OfficeMax ink sucked. It stained my boards no matter which solvent I used. But the Brother ink will curdle and roll up using acetone, absolutely no staining. I am using the 1 part hydrochloric acid, 2 parts hydrogen peroxide, works great. Lukewarm solution and a sponge took 4 minutes to finish.

I am also working on tinting the boards blue with Trans-tint dye. They have blue, green, yellow, red, mahogany, ....etc. I will post some pics when I get the blue tint done. I used black, and it looks cool with the solder, good contrast.

Hcl and a Sponge??? Make a bubler tank!

well the HCl is pretty dilute, since you start with 38% and then mix it to 2 parts peroxide. So it comes to around 9% concentration. I use large nitrile gloves and goggles too. I do plan on making a bubbler tank though. I have a 1 gallon aquarium tank, but I do not know if the HCl will attack the seal. Anyone know if it will be safe?

Umm...Well I don't want to calculate the molarity of the HCL...but unless it's like 6+ I doubt it would do anything...It's probably less than 1 M.

I always keep a small container of baking soda nearby too, and also some dissolved in some water. Just in case, I am clumsy sometimes.

Would NaOH not work better? It's a stronger base...and the byproduct of mixing with HCl is NaCL (table salt).

You should be able to make proper HCl concentrations such that you'll never need to add a base.

It might, I only use the baking soda when I dispose of the mix. I have been making small boards so I only mix 8 oz of etchant.

Anyone know if this etchant is safe in an aquarium tank? I am not sure if it will eat at the seals, which seems to be silicone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back