Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PCB-Ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
upload_2016-2-25_19-23-39.png

This is the circuit I have designed, I have never made a PCB before , I have only created the schematics.
Any ideas on how I can turn this into a PCB?

Looks like Circuit Wizard

Start by making a nicer schematic. Yours is very messy and difficult to follow. Please read (in its entirety) this sticky: https://www.electro-tech-online.com/threads/rules-for-drawing-readable-schematics.144863/

If this is simply a hobby project, I recommend using Eagle or KiCAD, which are both entry-level schematic/PCB design packages (you create a schematic and then pull it into a board, and it shows you where you need to connect your traces). There are hundreds or thousands of packages out there though, so I suggest just finding one that you like and go with that. Nobody can tell you what package to use--There is no "best". It all depends on how easy you find it to use. Eagle and KiCAD both have great documentation that will help you learn how to use the software.

What software did you us use to make your schematic?
circuit wizard
Start by making a nicer schematic. Yours is very messy and difficult to follow. Please read (in its entirety) this sticky: https://www.electro-tech-online.com/threads/rules-for-drawing-readable-schematics.144863/

If this is simply a hobby project, I recommend using Eagle or KiCAD, which are both entry-level schematic/PCB design packages (you create a schematic and then pull it into a board, and it shows you where you need to connect your traces). There are hundreds or thousands of packages out there though, so I suggest just finding one that you like and go with that. Nobody can tell you what package to use--There is no "best". It all depends on how easy you find it to use. Eagle and KiCAD both have great documentation that will help you learn how to use the software.
Thank you will look into that.

Probably all the parts are in the Eagle Cad library(s). If not, likely one of us can find or make the parts.
Most cad software will have example files. Eagle has some schematics that are ready to use to make a simple PCB. It is fun (and frustrating) make your first "layout".

The first thing you do is get a piece of matrix board 38 holes x 38 holes containing round lands and build the circuit on the board and make sure it works.
Use tinned copper wire.

The first thing you do is get a piece of matrix board 38 holes x 38 holes containing round lands and build the circuit on the board and make sure it works.
Use tinned copper wire.

If by that you mean a breadboard then yes I have tested it in practice.

You build the circuit on 100mm x 100mm because the board is only $3.00 and whn it works, you copy the layout on cad.

I second Kicad for a very comprehensive Pgm.
I am presently trying 'Dirty Board PCB' for $2.50/ 10cm x 10cm board.
They have just shipped them so I will have to see how they match up to Itead.
Max.

I second Kicad for a very comprehensive Pgm.
I am presently trying 'Dirty Board PCB' for $2.50/ 10cm x 10cm board.
They have just shipped them so I will have to see how they match up to Itead.
Max.
That was quick!

Without getting into the history of red and blue tape, the standard work flow is that the schematic software exports a Netlist. This is a pseudo-standard file format that contains the parts, their pinouts, the signal names (each signal from here to there is called a net; hence, netlist) and the from-to connections. The netlist is imported into a layout program. That program looks in its library for the parts, and puts them up on the screen with everything connected by simple straight lines. This is called the rats nest display. Then you drag the parts around to place them and turn the connections into pc board traces using the drawing tools in the program. In this way, anything connected on the schematic is connected on the board; nothing is lost in a manual translation from one environment to the other. This is why everyone on these fora are so hyper about the schematic - it is the anchor for everything about the design. Pro schematic packages let you define minimum trace widths for power runs, ground planes, matched lengths and impedances, and other things usually left to the layout stage *in the schematic*. In a workplace where the schematic designer and board layout person are different people, this is how they communicate in a way that does not require a stack of cocktail napkins. Everything is "flowed down" from the schematic, making it the primary control document.

Newer programs integrate the stages, so an all-in-one program doesn't export/import a netlist to itself. A critical part of this process is the libraries. Particularly if you are using separate programs for the schematic and the pcb, the library device names much match or one program will not be able to interpret the netlist from the other.

And, physically prototyping a circuit on perf board is not a mandatory step in translating it to a pc board design. Educational, prudent, conservative, and possibly cost effective, maybe; "the first thing"? - not in an age of proto boards and decent simulators.

ak

Probably all the parts are in the Eagle Cad library(s). If not, likely one of us can find or make the parts.
Most cad software will have example files. Eagle has some schematics that are ready to use to make a simple PCB. It is fun (and frustrating) make your first "layout".

I intend to use the CD4553 IC and I can not seem to find it, Is it my computer or?

If this is simply a hobby project, I recommend using Eagle or KiCAD, which are both entry-level schematic/PCB design packages (you create a schematic and then pull it into a board, and it shows you where you need to connect your traces).

Kicad I found easier to use however it's library is very very limited to the components I had intended to use.

Does it have a way to add new components? Or a copy and edit function?

one could make components and add them to libraries yes but frankly when it comes down to that I simply do not have the knowledge and the know how to make a 16 pin IC.

It's not difficult. You only need to draw two things: The schematic symbol and the footprint. Our friend AtomSoft here made a Youtube tutorial for creating components in Eagle.

You should be able to create a 16 pin IC fairly easily provided you have its datasheet.

Kicad I found easier to use however it's library is very very limited to the components I had intended to use.
I found it very easy to change existing components that were close and add to the library.
Even making a new version is not that hard.
There are many manuals and videos out there for Kicad on the subject.
Max.

I found it very easy to change existing components that were close and add to the library.
Even making a new version is not that hard.
There are many manuals and videos out there for Kicad on the subject.
Max.
It's not difficult. You only need to draw two things: The schematic symbol and the footprint. Our friend AtomSoft here made a Youtube tutorial for creating components in Eagle.

You should be able to create a 16 pin IC fairly easily provided you have its datasheet.

I'm just making it with the guidelines from a YouTube video, thanks for the help!

Thank you sir,

upload_2016-3-3_22-4-23.png

Just got round to doing it and it was actually pretty straight forward; two more ICs to go!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back