Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Milled Board PCB...Drill sizes?

Flyback

Hi,
We wish to make a few prototypes of our 20W Flyback SMPS.
We dont want to wait the 5 days for delivery of JLCPCB etc.
So we will do it on Milled Board.
Its a single sided board which we cut to size....we then mill out the unwanted copper to leave the tracks...we can have NPTH's, so that we can do thru hole parts too...
Anyway, has anyone ever done this?....is it best to use just one drill size?

Obviously a good number of the tracks will just have to be wired, since its not double sided.

Better off etching single sided.. I tried to mill a PCB before.. The tracks are small and 0.8 bits snap far too easy. I must have tried 10+ milling bits.
I then tried a conical cutter. Much better, but I could never get a flat surface and tracks cuts were terrible.
If I'd have got 10 off from a Chinese PCB Co. (Like I do now) It would have been cheaper and quicker.
I gave up and left it to the professional's

If you build it on a DIY circuit board, and it doesn't work, what then? You send for a fab-house board because maybe the tracks have a problem or there are solder bridges because there's no soldermask? What would have taken a week now takes two, with a lot of wasted effort?

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back