Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PCB Front Panel for Mini-Modules

For The Popcorn

Most Helpful Member
In a recent post I mentioned using a Chinese "mini-module" power supply. Many different useful instruments and devices are available in this same housing, designed for panel mounting. Buck/boost converters, electronic loads, electrical parameter monitors, square wave generators and pwm motor drivers, timers and thermometers to name a few. Some varieties have a serial output for monitoring and control.

I have quite a collection of these modules that I've been debating about how to best put to use. Maybe the collection on a large panel, as there are times when a number of them could be chained for a quote powerful automated test setup. When you allow for connectors, the collection of mini-modules isn't so mini.

One of my thoughts was separate enclosures for each module in an aluminum extrusion pcb panels for end caps. I found a perfect size....but it would have meant connectors on the back, plus at $15 each, it was kind of spendy. The I remembered I have a bunch of leftover Altech HP-100 polypropylene enclosures. A different form factor than I had been considering, but the price was right. I laid out a PCB panel and they arrived today.

20230605_182030.jpg

The panel has a cutout for the module, and two pairs of binding posts – most of the modules have an input and output. The results look beautiful.

20230605_151051.jpg

20230605_151109.jpg

Those of you with eagle eyes may see I made a mistake in my layout. The modules have square corners with no rounding. A round cutter milling a pcb inside corner can't make a square corner. I forgot to relieve the corners. A quick touch up with a Dremel tool cured that and my slightly undersized cutout.

CM230605-162208005.jpg

And now there are many!

20230605_165802.jpg

It's FR4 from JLCPCB. I think they may have upgraded me to flat black. It's exactly the look I wanted.

There is no copper on the board. It's just a panel.

It's an inexpensive way to make a front panel accurately, with labeling.

Since the modules all have different functions, I was only able to to do a limited amount of labeling.

One point I was struggling with....

The lid of the Altech enclosures is secured with cams in each corner. Under the cam, a round opening extends to the back of the box so it can be attached to a wall. The diameter of the hole is ~9mm. I was looking for some type of thread insert to put in the hole to attach the panel, but wasn't coming up with anything close to 9mm diameter with a reasonable screw size.

Rubber expansion nuts turned out to be the perfect answer. Amazon has some that are 9mm in diameter, and use a 5mm screw. These fit tightly in the holes even before the screw is tightened.

The finished product. Very sharp if I do say so myself.

20230607_104205.jpg

20230607_104343.jpg

I recall Archerkits from Radio Shack had peel-on labels for their cases, none were universal or common face for multiple projects. My only unfinished Archerkit was the Dual Variable Power Supply back in 1981 for lack of parts as I was only 16 then with a paper route.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back