Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PC serial port connection

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the significance of shorting together pins 1,6,4 and 7,8 while leaving pin 9 open and pin 5 grounded?

Normally i just connect the Tx and Rx pin and it seems ok. Is it really that important?

Spectacular Butter said:
What is the significance of shorting together pins 1,6,4 and 7,8 while leaving pin 9 open and pin 5 grounded?

Normally i just connect the Tx and Rx pin and it seems ok. Is it really that important?

Without looking up the pin details, I presume they are the handshake lines, depending on the particular program it might require hardware handshaking - so you either need to provide handshaking, or copnnect them across to fool it.

So it's only important if hardware handshaking is required by the program!.

7 and 8

Several are handshaking pins. The only ones to really be concerned with are RTS (request to send) and CTS (clear to send). These are pins 7 and 8. In rare cases you may have trouble sending data from a computer with only pins 2,3, and 5 connected. This is usually because an RTS signal is unanswered. To solve this just connect pins 7 and 8 together. It is best to do this anyway just to be safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back