Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Direct connection between an SD card reader to an ESP8266 sans logic shifters

Vizier87

Hi everyone.

It seems like current SD card readers come with logic-level shifters for 5-3.3V, and yet I also saw Random Nerd using one without it here: https://randomnerdtutorials.com/guide-to-sd-card-module-with-arduino/

For an ESP8266 especially, I believe a direct connection is safe, yes? Since the pins output 3.3V anyway.

The reason for this question is I'm designing a circuit board and would like to reduce the components if possible.

Thanks.
Vizier87

You only need level shifters if your processor runs at 5V, as the SD card runs at 3.3V - if your processor runs at 3.3V then there's no need for a level shifter.

As you're using an ESP8266, which is 3.3V only, then no level shifter needed. Other devices, such as PIC's and AVR's, can often be used on either 5V or 3.3V, so you need to ensure you run them on 3.3V, or add a level shifter.

SD card modules only come with level shifters if you specifically order that type - most don't, and are just a plain SD socket.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back