Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

parallel port

Status
Not open for further replies.

mstechca

How do I make windows believe that a printer is properly attached to my computer and functioning correctly without attaching the printer?

In other words, what pins of the parallel port do I connect to 5V, and 0V?

Right now, I will ignore the data lines.

How you fool the port depends on the way the port is set in BIOS.
Google a search for BeyondLogic.org and check out their extensive section on legacy parallel ports.
Some additional info on what you are trying to do would help me be more specific.
Attached is an example of an EPP port instruction decoder.
If you just wanted to fool the EPP port, you could tie either /DStrobe or /AStrobe back to the /Wait lead depending on the EPP Address or Data instruction you want to fool.
Dialtone

Attachments

• eppdecoder.jpg
    eppdecoder.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 515
The reason why I am asking is because I think I have damaged my port.

I am using SPP mode.

When windows tries to print, and nothing is connected to the port, I get an "out of paper" message. If I ground the "out of paper" signal, I get a "device fault" in QuickBasic, and in Windows, it says the printer is not connected.

If I set the /ERROR line to 5V, nothing different happens.

What needs to be grounded, and what needs to be connected to VCC (5V)?

I want to make a phony printer to make Windows believe a real working one is connected.

This information helps. Most likely your printer device driver is going to detect lack of the printer no matter what hardware trick you try to use because it MAY be interrogating the printer and expecting an answer, especially if the printer is Plug_n_Play device.
If you want to test your port, BeyondLogic org has some programs in the "MISC" section that allow you to manipulate the port data / control/ and status registers. You can loop some of these back to back and test the actual in/out capabilities of the device port.
Dialtone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back