Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Parallel Port Communication Test

Status
Not open for further replies.

MadMart

Hi everyone,
I am currently working on a parallel port communication test unit as a Uni project.

I have yet to find any existing product that even comes close to this description, the unit will use software to communicate through the parallel port using a sequence of binary numbers.

If you know of any existing/similar products could you please let me know.
Thanks

I am not sure what you want to accomplish, but laplink was a piece of software to connect to PCs over the parallel port. Further, in the early incarnations of linux (perhaps it still exists), there was PLIP which was TCP/IP over the parallel port.

The later versions of MSDOS also included a similar feature to Laplink, it was called INTERLNK and INTERSRV. It allowed you to access drives in one computer from another - although it was no where near as good as Laplink!.

There is an old DoS program called 'Zip' which does exactly that.
It was put out by Eric Meyer back in the eighties i think.
It came out before the 'Zip' compression program, WinZip.
At about 50 Kilobytes its quite small,
and has the interesting feature of being able to access the 'other'
PC and install itself upon it, which can be very useful if the
'other' PC is maybe a laptop with no CD unit, or a damaged floppy
which seems very common on laptops. Before i found this utility i
was putting programs on to 'in-accessible' laptops using their
internet connection, but that only worked for a few!

I find this old DoS program very fast using the parallel port.
I still use it, in preference to intersvr and DCC.

Regards, John :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back