Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

parallel intefacing Stepper Motor

Status
Not open for further replies.

silent_thunder

good day to all.

- i have here a parallel wire connected one end to parallel port of PC and the other end at the 12 V stepper motor and this will be operated with visual basic 6..
- when i tried this, the motor just move a little..it doesnt rotate..in this case, i think it is just lack of power source since PC parallel port gives only 5 V,,am i right?, if not, what do you think the problem in this?
- what can you suggest about this?

thanks for the help>>>

good day to all.

- i have here a parallel wire connected one end to parallel port of PC and the other end at the 12 V stepper motor and this will be operated with visual basic 6..
- when i tried this, the motor just move a little..it doesnt rotate..in this case, i think it is just lack of power source since PC parallel port gives only 5 V,,am i right?, if not, what do you think the problem in this?
- what can you suggest about this?

thanks for the help>>>

A PC's parallel port has insufficient Voltage/current to drive a Stepper Motor, you require a suitable transistor for each driving pin.

What is the Voltage and Current rating of your stepper motor.??

i dont know the operating current..

OK, do you have a multimeter to measure the resistance of the motor winding.?

We need to have some idea on the current required in order to suggest a suitable driving transistor.

How many wires is there on the stepper motor?

Stepper motors contain a number of coils which have to be turned on and off in the right sequence to gain motion, you cannot just give it a set voltage and expect it to rotate. They contain steps, and each pulse of the sequence moves it a step. You step it many times to get it to do a 360 degree turn. If it has 5 or 6 wires this link will help you: https://electronics-diy.com/electronics/stepper_motors.php else, if it only has 4 wires give this a read: https://www.stepperworld.com/Tutorials/pgBipolarTutorial.htm

As Eric said, you will need a driver and power supply to get your stepper working, the parallel port can only about 10mA per pin, which is MUCH too low for a stepper motor to run with, but how you explained how the stepper moved, it sounds about right with the way your controlling it,

Dave

Last edited:
i have here a 2-wire stepper motor..

i found a website that maybe helpful to amplify the current/voltage sufficient to operate the motor..
**broken link removed**

Last edited:
if it only has two wires, I am pretty sure it is most probably a standard DC or AC motor, not a stepper motor. If it is a DC motor a simple circuit can be built to drive the motor, here is an example: (taken from https://embedded-lab.com/blog/?p=1159)
Circuit_SingleTransistorDCMotor.png

Your parallel port connects to where it says On/Off, which drives the transistor base via the resistor to limit the current. Current can then flow though the motor to ground. The diode is important because otherwise, when the transistor turns off the energy stored in the motors magnetic field creates a high voltage when the field collapses, this can damage the transistor. The diode prevents this by channelling all the current back into the motor as a short circuit. Make sure you get the polarity correct because otherwise you will create a dead short when the transistor is on possible damaging your power supply, diode or transitor. For the VCC voltage, use the voltage that your motor is rated for, in this case 12V.

The BC547 is a small transistor, so you may want to go for something with a little more power such as the 2N4922

Dave

Last edited:
2 wire stepper motor!!! there's a first...
One of the new ones from the Orient. Apply volts to 2 wires, motor takes one step, motor coil burns out.;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back