Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Pacman eat you heart out... no really.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sceadwian

Banned
**broken link removed**

Well that seems interesting .. but it let the other bacteria sneak off!:(

I think they were still blue from the last super pellet. I'm sure Packman has a goon squad off to the side somehwhere.

HTF is that thing targeting the bacteria? Surface receptor sites for... something? And look - it ignores another bacteria and continues to follow its prey. Dang.

Not a clue, ask mother nature =) Biology on that scale is damn difficult to understand.

Last edited:
Until you get Leukemia.

HTF is that thing targeting the bacteria? Surface receptor sites for... something? And look - it ignores another bacteria and continues to follow its prey. Dang.

Sort of works like this. Chemotaxis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

See part on Eukaryotic chemotaxis.

I know bacterium cell walls contain peptidoglycan. This polymer is not found in the human body so perhaps it acts as the chemical attractor. That's just a guess though.

Interesting video on immune response. Pretty remarkable thing.
**broken link removed**

I know bacterium cell walls contain peptidoglycan. This polymer is not found in the human body so perhaps it acts as the chemical attractor. That's just a guess though.
Upon further thought, I feel my thinking about peptidoglycans as the chemical attractant may be in error as this component is also contained in the good bacteria that our body uses. So at the moment, the chemical attractant is somewhat alluding me, but I will try and investigate further.

I suspect each bacteria illicit a unique chemical signature that triggers a foreign body response. I need to do some further reading. At the moment, I think the actual chemicals involved are still somewhat a mystery to scientist, but studies continue in this area.

Just thought I should clarify as to not give possible misinformation.

Last edited:
Greek greek greek greek! Greek greek greek.
Sorry, couldn't resist =)

Peptidoglycan is like to a bacteria what cellulose is to a plant cell or collagen is to a human cell, a matrix of some tough stuff outside the plasma membrane.

On another board a guy was telling me that if a bacteria was the size of a car in a big swimming pool or something you would see it churning water and surrounded in a stinky cloud of various kinds of greasy crud it keeps belching out.

What I was wondering was more along the lines of the guidance system. The chemotaxis page didn't offer anything new. That video seems to show more than the emergent behavior of a cell with receptor sites all over it heading up some chemical gradient - if that was the case, then when it passes that other bacteria you would expect it to stick a pseudopod or something out that way. Instead, it actively ignores it and concentrates on its initial prey. Awesome.

Electronics equivalent is a line follower... Same thing I'm sure, no idea what the mechanisms are though, the bacteria obviously has some kind of internal feedback that is more sensative in the direction it was heading as opposed to it's normal omni directional mode, when it picks up a trace that area self sensitizes and it goes after it, finding more 'signal' it keeps going in that direction and pasingly ignores weaker signals, I bet there are bacteria that are capable of shooting off the equivilent of chaf to confuse the trail to give it the edge to get away.

Does anyone know if that is real time. It's hard to imagine how a "blob" manages to move so fast by changing shape.

Mike.

Pommie you have to understand the scale. That thing is only about 5-10µ meters across. By my best guesstimate it only moved about 6 body lengths the whole video. So 60µ meters in 28 seconds, about 1.8µ meters a second, that's a bit more than 7.5mm's per hour. Not exactly a speed demon.

I understand the scale but find it hard to comprehend how "blobs" move so (relatively) quickly. It is moving half it's body length in 1 second the equivalent of a human moving at walking pace. The fact that it is moving by changing shape makes it even more remarkable. Looking at the speed of the bacteria, I'm convinced that this is time lapse and I'm curious how much it is sped up.

Another amazing thing about this video is that it was made in the 1950s.

Mike.

Peptidoglycan is like to a bacteria what cellulose is to a plant cell or collagen is to a human cell, a matrix of some tough stuff outside the plasma membrane.

On another board a guy was telling me that if a bacteria was the size of a car in a big swimming pool or something you would see it churning water and surrounded in a stinky cloud of various kinds of greasy crud it keeps belching out.

What I was wondering was more along the lines of the guidance system. The chemotaxis page didn't offer anything new. That video seems to show more than the emergent behavior of a cell with receptor sites all over it heading up some chemical gradient - if that was the case, then when it passes that other bacteria you would expect it to stick a pseudopod or something out that way. Instead, it actively ignores it and concentrates on its initial prey. Awesome.

If you choose to not accept chemotactic response as the mechanism which moves a WBC towards a target, then that is your right. I will, however, go with what was taught to me by biology professors. The prevailing theory of WBC affinity towards a bacterial cell is chemotaxis.

Perhaps this link may shed some light.

https://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/picrender.fcgi?artid=1484066&blobtype=pdf

Last edited:
I understand the scale but find it hard to comprehend how "blobs" move so (relatively) quickly. It is moving half it's body length in 1 second the equivalent of a human moving at walking pace. The fact that it is moving by changing shape makes it even more remarkable. Looking at the speed of the bacteria, I'm convinced that this is time lapse and I'm curious how much it is sped up.

Another amazing thing about this video is that it was made in the 1950s.

Mike.

One thing I thought strange about the video is that the WBC appeared to be flagellated, yet human WBC have no flagellation.

There was no mention of it being human, far as I know no one has suggested it was.

There was no mention of it being human, far as I know no one has suggested it was.

And as far as I know, no one suggested that you did.

And perhaps I should have mentioned, as far as I know most mammals do not have flagellated white blood cells. My zoology knowledge is limited so I would be interested in finding out which animals do have this sort of WBC.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back