Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

ORION DVD PLAYER

Status
Not open for further replies.

herbymcduff

I don't really know how to explain this, without you actually hearing the problem, but I will try.
One day my dvd player quit. The power indicator is ON, and the ON light is on. When you apply power, it thinks it is ON, but nothing works.
All voltages are there, and there is a high pitched noise coming from the laser. Why that noise is there I don't know.
I have troubleshooted the power supply and found nothing wrong.
I traced it to the laser circuit. My guess is that there maybe a short somewhere, but I just cannot pin point it.

Laser LED dead?

I don't mean to dismiss your gear, simply volunteer my (limited) experience ...

Whenever I have tried repairing CD players (always cheap ones), I end up condemming the laser LED for being unable to focus. Everything else seems OK, just an inability to 'see' the disk. It seems to be the stock fault !

The sound you hear is interesting though, could this be the focussing coil (motor) of the laser assembly struggling to find focus with a duff LED?

I would be interested to hear if you do find the LED at fault and if you can get a replacement.
[Yes I know this is a DVD but they are just high capacity CDs !]

... right I'll shut up again now !

Re: Laser LED dead?

mechie said:
I don't mean to dismiss your gear, simply volunteer my (limited) experience ...

Whenever I have tried repairing CD players (always cheap ones), I end up condemming the laser LED for being unable to focus. Everything else seems OK, just an inability to 'see' the disk. It seems to be the stock fault !

The sound you hear is interesting though, could this be the focussing coil (motor) of the laser assembly struggling to find focus with a duff LED?

I would be interested to hear if you do find the LED at fault and if you can get a replacement.
[Yes I know this is a DVD but they are just high capacity CDs !]

... right I'll shut up again now !
The laser in a DVD or CD player is not a LED, it is a HeNe tube.
Does the tube glow a red-orange color?
There is over 3kv at the tube, be careful!

As far as I know Class-I Semiconductor LASER Diodes are used in CD players and DVD Players. :)

Hey, thanks. I came to find out that my laser was trying to focus. The laser is shot. No light or any other movement besides it trying to focus and that noise. I will eventually end up just using it for other DVDs I repair.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back