Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Optical Tachometer with LED readout.

Status
Not open for further replies.

WilliamN

I am looking for a schematic of a optical tachometer circuit with a LED read out. Its intended to measure the the RPM of a jet engine compressor shaft. Very high rpm range, around 120,000 RPM max. Any help would be great.
Thanks
William

That is only 2kHz, even with lots of vanes, you can easily measure this with a microcontroller like an AVR or PIC. The easiest way to proceed is just use an LED and a phototransistor. The transistor drives either an input capture or counter input to the micro, then you can measure the time between pulses to find the frequency of count for a fixed amount of time. Having said that, I dont think I want to be the one holding this gizmo up to a jet engine. You would also have to find some way to make a very sturdy mount.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back